Jan 17, 2014, 8:45 AM EST
As the English Football Association gear up for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, all of the pre-tournament preparations are now in place.
On Thursday England confirmed friendlies with Ecuador (June 4) and Honduras (June 7) will take place at the Miami Dolphins SunLife Stadium, and act as the final two games for Roy Hodgson’s squad before they face Italy in their Group D opener in Manuas.
Initially it was thought England would head to the East Coast and play the U.S. national team in late May, but that didn’t work out given the fact that the USA will likely be base don the West Coast in their pre-tournament training camp, and that Hodgson wanted to play as many South and Central American opponents as possible. The team will train in South Florida, as England try to acclimatize to the heat and humidity they will face at the venues they will play in during the 2014 tournament in Brazil.
Here are all the important dates from March until the World Cup kicks off, as a source close to the English national team camp confirmed them to me. Including when Hodgson will name his squad and when the team will jet off to the USA and Brazil as they search for the Three Lions first World Cup title since 1966.
DATES FOR ENGLAND’S WORLD CUP PREPARATION
March 5: England V Denmark (Wembley)
May 13: Roy Hodgson names England’s provisional squad of 30
May 26: Players released from their clubs to join up with England
May 30: Friendly vs. Peru at Wembley Stadium, London
June 1: Fly to Miami for final two warm-up games
June 2: Fifa deadline for Hodgson to announce final squad of 23
June 4: Warm-up game vs. Ecuador at Sun Life Stadium (Miami)
June 7: Final warm-up game vs. Honduras at Sun Life Stadium (Miami)
June 8: Arrive at England’s Royal Tulip Hotel base in Rio de Janeiro for the World Cup
June 12: World Cup begins
July 14: First group game – England v Italy
- Jose Mourinho to Schalke after Chelsea’s 5-0 win: “It’s not your fault” 0
- Bob Bradley’s talks with a Swedish club have broken down; Staying at Stabaek? 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Chelsea win group, Man City’s late show, classy PSG 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Bayern Munich: Aguero’s hat trick hands Citizens lifeline 5
- Schalke 0-5 Chelsea: Blues with an untouchable performance against old boss 0
- Lionel Messi breaks Raul’s record for Champions League goals (video) 0