Jan 17, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Anson Dorrance has a lot of accolades under his belt, what with winning 94 percent of his games in a simply-stunning career as head coach of the North Carolina women’s soccer team.
And Friday found two of his charges going at the top of the NWSL Draft. No, not just two selections in the top ten or in the first round, but Nos. 1 and 2. Crystal Dunn went to Washington at No. 1 while Kealia Ohai went to expansion Houston at No.2.
Dunn scored 14 goals and added six assists in 21 games this year and has won both the Hermann Trophy as the nation’s best player but also Offensive and Defensive Player of the Year awards in the ACC, while Ohai scored three less goals with the same amount of helpers. Both women were a big part of the US women’s U-20 World Cup title in 2012, where Dunn played left back and Ohai scored the tourney winning goal.
Here’s the full list of picks:
1. WAS: Crystal Dunn, North Carolina
2. HOU: Kealia Ohai, North Carolina
3. CHI: Julie Johnson, Santa Clara
4. CHI: Vanessa DiBernardo, Illinois
5. KC: Kassey Kallman, Florida State
6. SKY: Maya Hayes, Penn State
7. SEA: Amanda Frisbe, Portland
8. BOS: Nkem Ezurike, Michigan
9. WNY: Courtney Verloo, Stanford
10. HOU: Rafaelle Souza, Mississippi
11. HOU: Marissa Diggs, Central Florida
12. KC: Morgan Marlborough, Santa Clara
13. BOS: Natasha Anasi, Duke
14. WNY: Cloee Colohan, BYU
15. SKY: Hayley Haagsma, Texas Tech
16. KC: Jenna Richmond, UCLA
17. SEA: Megan Brigman, North Carolina
18. WNY: Kelsey Wys, Florida State
19. KC: Frances Silva, West Virginia
20. KC: Mandy Laddish, Notre Dame
21. BOS: Jazmine Reeves, Virginia Tech
22. CHI: Hayley Brock, Maryland
23. BOS: Mollie Pathman, Duke
24. SKY: Michelle Pao, Pepperdine
25. POR: Emily Menges, Georgetown
26. WAS: Molly Menchel, Virginia
27. WNY: Annie Steinlage, Virginia
28. HOU: Jordan Jackson, Nebraska
29. WAS: Shasta Fisher, Virginia
30. SEA: Ellen Parker, Portland
31. POR: Elisabeth Sullivan, Mississippi State
32. BOS: Jami Kranich, Villanova
33. SKY: Elizabeth Eddy, USC
34. BOS: Kim DeCesare, Duke
35. KC: Maegan Kelly, Marquette
36. WNY: Kristen Hamilton, Denver
Oct 21, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT
“On behalf of the club, I would like to apologise to the QPR supporters for the embarrassment this has caused,” Fernandes wrote.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Who scored the best goal in Tuesday’s Champions League action?
Oct 21, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Oct 21, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
One hopes Agudelo’s story will resonate with Jurgen Klinsmann.
Oct 21, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
“It might be something I regret down the line for not challenging myself,” said Gerrard.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
The players will shell out over $90,000 to cover the cost of the traveling fans.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
40 goals were scored in eight games on Tuesday, as Groups E-H exploded into life.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
A sensational ending to a sensational performance by Hazard and Chelsea as a whole.
Oct 21, 2014, 4:35 PM EDT
When Bayern Munich are firing on all cylinders, they are scary, scary sight.
Oct 21, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
Unlucky for Maribor. Comfortable for Chelsea.
Oct 21, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT
Groups E-H are in action on Wednesday in Europe as eight games take place, and there are some gaudy score lines after just 45 minutes.
Oct 21, 2014, 3:36 PM EDT
It’s an absolute shellacking going into half-time with Bayern giving a masterclass display in Roma.
Oct 21, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
It’s the right move for Philly, especially given the man management shown by Curtin.
Oct 21, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT
Pellegrini defiant despite City blowing a 2-0 lead in Moscow.
Oct 21, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
Missing Koscielny is a far bigger blow than having to start a 22-year-old, though.
Oct 21, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
City chuck away 2-0 lead in Russian capital, as UCL hopes hang in the balance.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
We’re going to have to have a talk about the presupposed power of the superior West at some point soon.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
City storming towards their first UCL win of the season in snowy Moscow.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
Is it enough to tip the scales for Liverpool, or will one of Real’s bevy of offensive stars step in to help stop the Reds’ European hopes?
Oct 21, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
A final week La Liga match in 2011 has been under investigation for a while, and now former Real Zaragoza player Herrera is under scrutiny.
- Tuesday’s Top 5 Champions League Goals: Which was the best? 0
- A Klinsmann Casualty? Juan Agudelo passed on by Wolverhampton 3
- Steven Gerrard admits he denied move to Real Madrid and that it may haunt him in the future 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern, Chelsea, Shakhtar go crazy on 40-goal night 0
- Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: Hazard brace keeps Blues atop Group G 0
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 1