Jan 17, 2014, 1:36 PM EDT
Okay, it wasn’t that ‘secretive’ but the USA’s friendly during their January camp trip to Brazil wasn’t exactly that accessible either.
There were no official lineups or rosters announced for the game as Sao Paolo ran out 2-1 winners. Training kits were worn during the game which took place on a training pitch at Sao Paolo’s training HQ.
But it looks, and sounded, like the USMNT had plenty of positives to take out of a 2-1 defeat, as Jurgen Klinsmann continues to put his MLS contingent of players (plus Mix Diskerud) through their paces down in Brazil.
The match was the first of two planned scrimmages with the Brazilian Serie A side, who have won the national championship six times in Brazil and have let the USMNT share their training facilities on a 12-day trip to South America.
According to their official Twitter feed, U.S. soccer stated that 24 of the USA’s 26-man squad took to the field on Thursday with plenty of minutes shared around so the MLS-heavy squad could should Klinsi and the other coaches what they have in their locker.
Another scrimmage against Sao Paolo is schedule for Monday January 20, which will bring a close to the Brazilian portion of Klinsmann’s January camp and the squad will return to Carson, Calif. before taking on the Korea Republic on Feb. 1 at the StubHub Center.
More details will come out in the next 12-24 hours about who fared well in the scrimmage, but it seems as though the trip to Brazil is proving extremely worthwhile for the U.S. players and coaches, so far.
- Alan Pardew handed hefty ban, fined for headbutt 1
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 2
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers