Jan 17, 2014, 1:36 PM EDT
Okay, it wasn’t that ‘secretive’ but the USA’s friendly during their January camp trip to Brazil wasn’t exactly that accessible either.
There were no official lineups or rosters announced for the game as Sao Paolo ran out 2-1 winners. Training kits were worn during the game which took place on a training pitch at Sao Paolo’s training HQ.
But it looks, and sounded, like the USMNT had plenty of positives to take out of a 2-1 defeat, as Jurgen Klinsmann continues to put his MLS contingent of players (plus Mix Diskerud) through their paces down in Brazil.
The match was the first of two planned scrimmages with the Brazilian Serie A side, who have won the national championship six times in Brazil and have let the USMNT share their training facilities on a 12-day trip to South America.
According to their official Twitter feed, U.S. soccer stated that 24 of the USA’s 26-man squad took to the field on Thursday with plenty of minutes shared around so the MLS-heavy squad could should Klinsi and the other coaches what they have in their locker.
Another scrimmage against Sao Paolo is schedule for Monday January 20, which will bring a close to the Brazilian portion of Klinsmann’s January camp and the squad will return to Carson, Calif. before taking on the Korea Republic on Feb. 1 at the StubHub Center.
More details will come out in the next 12-24 hours about who fared well in the scrimmage, but it seems as though the trip to Brazil is proving extremely worthwhile for the U.S. players and coaches, so far.
- MUST SEE: Wesley Sneijder scores two wonder goals 0
- Where does Sergio Aguero rank with the world’s best? 0
- Michael Bradley to Jurgen Klinsmann: ‘I have thick skin’ 0
- Stoke 2-1 Swansea: Substitutes pick up three points for the Potters 0
- Liverpool must improve, and they know it, despite late win at QPR 3
- VIDEO: QPR 2-3 Liverpool: Pair of own goals dooms QPR after insane final six minutes 1