Jan 18, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Count New York Red Bulls sporting director Andy Roxburgh among the many of us who would swoon with delight to see Spanish midfielder Xavi – a man who has won so many high profile trophies with Spain and Barcelona that he’d probably have trouble listing them all – make his way to Major League Soccer.
Roxburgh says Xavi has been among his favorite players for two decades.
Xavi, 33, has been linked in various reports to New York City FC or to the Red Bulls. (Now there are two teams in New York now to be tossed around willy-nilly by wily agents looking to boost their players’ valuation via compliant media types – which isn’t great for those of us who prefer our content a little closer to this thing we call “the truth.” But never mind that.)
Xavi himself threw cold water on that little brushfire of information – though some media members then speculated that the Barca man was playing it a little coy. I mean, it’s New York! He’s got to know more about it, right? (Is that what they call “East Coast elitism?” Just asking.)
At any rate, Roxburgh was asked about Xavi and the chances of the Spanish passing master classman landing at Red Bull Arena.
To have a player like him on your team would be sent from heaven. But all I’m going to say to you is he’s signed up with Barcelona through what, 2016? So he’s somebody else’s player. There’s nothing for us to talk about at this moment in time.
“But if you asked me would I like to have Xavi? Of course. That’s another discussion. He’d be phenomenal for the league and phenomenal for us. But in the short term, I can’t imagine such a thing happening.”
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 2
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 7
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 5
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 2
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1