Jan 18, 2014, 3:37 PM EST
The Dutch league has been good to U.S. strikers lately, so perhaps the high-scoring Eredivisie is a place Juan Agudelo can successfully launch the next phase of his career.
ESPN’s Marc Stein has reported that Dutch club FC Utrecht is Agudelo’s landing point in a transfer saga that has dragged on for months. It comes via loan from Stoke City, where the young U.S. marksman has been signed, but cannot actually play after failure to gain a UK work permit.
Friday’s ESPN report said Stoke City, which first began chasing the 21-year-old striker’s signature last summer, will continue to pursue the work permit, although it seems unlikely that Agudelo could play at the Britannia this year.
Big success in the Dutch Eredivisie – a league that values its scoring opportunities far more than defense – helped vault Jozy Altidore to the next rung in his career, one that had been a big start-and-stop before last year’s breakout. Altidore set a record for an American in Europe by netting 31 goals across in all competitions for Alkmaar. That shattered the old record for U.S. players abroad, held by Clint Dempsey. His prolific scoring helped Altidore gain U.S. Soccer Athlete of the Year honors for 2013 (not to mention that summer move into Sunderland, for better or worse, as it turns out).
Young U.S. international Aron Johannsson replaced Altidore at Alkmaar, and now he is scoring regularly for the Dutch club, as well. Johannsson might even break Altidore record from just a year back.
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 2
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- U.S. Soccer confirms three-game send-off series ahead of 2014 World Cup 2
- Eddie Johnson got paid: New D.C. United forward signs Designated Player deal 2
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season