Jan 18, 2014, 8:36 AM EDT
Southampton dominated the early knockings against Sunderland and were duly rewarded with an absolute howitzer from England international Jay Rodriguez.
The Saints made all of that impressive early play count, as after just three minutes Rodriguez brought the ball down on the edge of the box, took one touch to tee himself up and then smashed a low pile driver into the bottom corner to send the traveling fans wild and put Southampton 1-0 up.
The sublime effort was Rodriguez’ ninth PL goal of the season, as Saints’ leading goalscorer put all the teams off-field worries to bed within the first five minutes.
Soon after Southampton went 2-0 up as Dejan Lovren‘s acrobatic finish extended their lead, but Sunderland hit back soon after through Fabio Borini’s as his strike made it 2-1 at the break. This pulsating clash has it all.
Can the Saints extend their lead? Or will Sunderland and Jozy Altdiore fight back?
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 0
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 4
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear