Jan 18, 2014, 8:36 AM EST
Southampton dominated the early knockings against Sunderland and were duly rewarded with an absolute howitzer from England international Jay Rodriguez.
The Saints made all of that impressive early play count, as after just three minutes Rodriguez brought the ball down on the edge of the box, took one touch to tee himself up and then smashed a low pile driver into the bottom corner to send the traveling fans wild and put Southampton 1-0 up.
The sublime effort was Rodriguez’ ninth PL goal of the season, as Saints’ leading goalscorer put all the teams off-field worries to bed within the first five minutes.
Soon after Southampton went 2-0 up as Dejan Lovren‘s acrobatic finish extended their lead, but Sunderland hit back soon after through Fabio Borini’s as his strike made it 2-1 at the break. This pulsating clash has it all.
Can the Saints extend their lead? Or will Sunderland and Jozy Altdiore fight back?
- David Beckham says progress still being made toward MLS stadium in Miami 0
- DONE DEAL: Mattia Destro, Juan Agudelo sign with new clubs AC Milan, New England Revolution 0
- Juan Agudelo signs with New England Revolution, completes return to MLS 2
- How will Chelsea, Manchester City line up in huge Premier League clash? 1
- Chelsea’s Diego Costa to contest FA charge of violent conduct 1
- Freddy Adu heading back to MLS? Reports claim two teams interested 10