Jan 18, 2014, 8:36 AM EST
Southampton dominated the early knockings against Sunderland and were duly rewarded with an absolute howitzer from England international Jay Rodriguez.
The Saints made all of that impressive early play count, as after just three minutes Rodriguez brought the ball down on the edge of the box, took one touch to tee himself up and then smashed a low pile driver into the bottom corner to send the traveling fans wild and put Southampton 1-0 up.
The sublime effort was Rodriguez’ ninth PL goal of the season, as Saints’ leading goalscorer put all the teams off-field worries to bed within the first five minutes.
Soon after Southampton went 2-0 up as Dejan Lovren‘s acrobatic finish extended their lead, but Sunderland hit back soon after through Fabio Borini’s as his strike made it 2-1 at the break. This pulsating clash has it all.
Can the Saints extend their lead? Or will Sunderland and Jozy Altdiore fight back?
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 0
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 9
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes
- Players to Watch: Montreal Impact
- Ireland's Premier Division Season Kicks off
- Away-Goal Rule is the Novelty for this Year's MLS Playoffs
- Barrett Nails Last Minute Goal for Seattle 1-0 Victory
- Three Things: Chelsea 4-0 Spurs