Jan 18, 2014, 8:36 AM EDT
Southampton dominated the early knockings against Sunderland and were duly rewarded with an absolute howitzer from England international Jay Rodriguez.
The Saints made all of that impressive early play count, as after just three minutes Rodriguez brought the ball down on the edge of the box, took one touch to tee himself up and then smashed a low pile driver into the bottom corner to send the traveling fans wild and put Southampton 1-0 up.
The sublime effort was Rodriguez’ ninth PL goal of the season, as Saints’ leading goalscorer put all the teams off-field worries to bed within the first five minutes.
Soon after Southampton went 2-0 up as Dejan Lovren‘s acrobatic finish extended their lead, but Sunderland hit back soon after through Fabio Borini’s as his strike made it 2-1 at the break. This pulsating clash has it all.
Can the Saints extend their lead? Or will Sunderland and Jozy Altdiore fight back?
- David Moyes vilified on return to Everton, as Manchester United nightmare continues 0
- Everton 2-0 Manchester United: Toffees rampant in miserable return for Moyes 1
- Miami mayor hits back at Beckham stadium critics 2
- Norwich City 2-3 Liverpool: Sterling, Reds with one hand on the title 3
- Premier League Sunday Preview: Liverpool’s chance to tighten its grip; Fourth place in focus 0
- MLS Roundup: Sporting climbs to first in East; RSL stays undefeated 0