Jan 18, 2014, 8:36 AM EDT
Southampton dominated the early knockings against Sunderland and were duly rewarded with an absolute howitzer from England international Jay Rodriguez.
The Saints made all of that impressive early play count, as after just three minutes Rodriguez brought the ball down on the edge of the box, took one touch to tee himself up and then smashed a low pile driver into the bottom corner to send the traveling fans wild and put Southampton 1-0 up.
The sublime effort was Rodriguez’ ninth PL goal of the season, as Saints’ leading goalscorer put all the teams off-field worries to bed within the first five minutes.
Soon after Southampton went 2-0 up as Dejan Lovren‘s acrobatic finish extended their lead, but Sunderland hit back soon after through Fabio Borini’s as his strike made it 2-1 at the break. This pulsating clash has it all.
Can the Saints extend their lead? Or will Sunderland and Jozy Altdiore fight back?
- Wolfsburg sporting director: “De Bruyne is off to Manchester City” 0
- Report: Manchester United planning massive $112 million bid for Arjen Robben 5
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Home advantage for heavyweights – Week 4 2
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 4 0
- Premier League Preview: Newcastle United vs. Arsenal 0
- Kevin de Bruyne deal moves closer after “astonishing” offer to join Manchester City 0