Jan 18, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
The game has yet to kick off at Anfield, yet the match between Liverpool and Aston Villa seems to have a forgone conclusion – is there any way the visitors can get a result? (watch live on NBC at 12:30 p.m. ET, or live online via NBC Sports Live Extra).
Villa are currently 11th in the Premier League, yet just five points above the relegation zone. They’ve won just one game of their last seven, at Sunderland. But Villa have a couple things in their favor, the first being that they’re much better on the road than at home, with just three losses thus far. Their hopes on Saturday will be pinned on Christian Benteke, who, after four months without a goal, finally scored in the 2-1 loss to Arsenal on Monday.
But Liverpool have Luis Suárez. And Daniel Sturridge. The two have knocked in 32 goals thus far, with Suárez alone scoring two more than Villa’s goal tally on the season, which currently stands at 20. The Reds have lost just once at Anfield this season, winning nine of ten. And after last year’s surprising home loss to Villa, they’ll no doubt be ready in case Benteke tries to extend his scoring streak, and tighten up to keep out the Belgian.
Liverpool: Mignolet, Johnson, Cissokho, Skrtel, Toure, Gerrard, Henderson, Sterling, Coutinho, Sturridge, Suarez
Subs: Jones, Kelly, Lucas, Moses, Allen, Aspas, Alberto
Aston Villa: Guzan, Bacuna, Vlaar, Clark, Bertrand, El Ahmadi, Westwood, Delph, Agbonlahor, Weimann, Benteke
Subs: Steer, Sylla, Helenius, Albrighton, Luna, Gardner, Holt
- Home teams take leads in first legs of Europa League semifinals 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Two way tussle for top spot – Week 35 0
- Premier League Scenarios: Title Chase, Race for Europe and Relegation 2
- Report: Mix Diskerud targeted by New York City FC 3
- Manchester United have two transfer deals provisionally in place – Cavani, Shaw, Fabregas all on radar 0
- Chelsea approves Jose Mourinho’s desire to play ‘B Squad’ against Liverpool 8