Jan 18, 2014, 11:41 AM EST
The game has yet to kick off at Anfield, yet the match between Liverpool and Aston Villa seems to have a forgone conclusion – is there any way the visitors can get a result? (watch live on NBC at 12:30 p.m. ET, or live online via NBC Sports Live Extra).
Villa are currently 11th in the Premier League, yet just five points above the relegation zone. They’ve won just one game of their last seven, at Sunderland. But Villa have a couple things in their favor, the first being that they’re much better on the road than at home, with just three losses thus far. Their hopes on Saturday will be pinned on Christian Benteke, who, after four months without a goal, finally scored in the 2-1 loss to Arsenal on Monday.
But Liverpool have Luis Suárez. And Daniel Sturridge. The two have knocked in 32 goals thus far, with Suárez alone scoring two more than Villa’s goal tally on the season, which currently stands at 20. The Reds have lost just once at Anfield this season, winning nine of ten. And after last year’s surprising home loss to Villa, they’ll no doubt be ready in case Benteke tries to extend his scoring streak, and tighten up to keep out the Belgian.
Liverpool: Mignolet, Johnson, Cissokho, Skrtel, Toure, Gerrard, Henderson, Sterling, Coutinho, Sturridge, Suarez
Subs: Jones, Kelly, Lucas, Moses, Allen, Aspas, Alberto
Aston Villa: Guzan, Bacuna, Vlaar, Clark, Bertrand, El Ahmadi, Westwood, Delph, Agbonlahor, Weimann, Benteke
Subs: Steer, Sylla, Helenius, Albrighton, Luna, Gardner, Holt
- Men in Blazers podcast: Kyle Martino joins to talk Thanksgiving and tie knots 0
- Champions League Wednesday preview: Arsenal can advance, Liverpool need kick-start 1
- Jose Mourinho to Schalke after Chelsea’s 5-0 win: “It’s not your fault” 0
- Bob Bradley’s talks with a Swedish club have broken down; Staying at Stabaek? 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Chelsea win group, Man City’s late show, classy PSG 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Bayern Munich: Aguero’s hat trick hands Citizens lifeline 6