Jan 18, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
The Canaries are currently in 15th, just two points above the drop, and could see themselves down in the bottom three should the weekend’s results go against them. While Hughton might have held his head high and spoke encouraging words after last weekend’s 2-0 loss to Everton, the Norwich manager has to know his job is on the line – especially after the midweek loss to Fulham in the FA Cup replay. Three points, though, could provide him with a lifeline once more.
And it just might be possible for the ailing Canaries to get a win against Hull City. The Tigers have just one win on the road, a stat Norwich might be able to take advantage of. But the hosts shouldn’t get too confident. Hull may have lost their last two Premier League games, but those were to Liverpool and Chelsea, and they beat Fulham 6-0 just prior to those fixtures.
The visitors made two signings this past week, but only Nikica Jelavić gets the start, while Shane Long fails to make the bench. Will the Croat impress for the hosts?
Norwich have made some switches from the side that lost to Fulham midweek, with Hughton making seven changes to his team. Yet when compared to last week’s league loss to Everton, the changes are minor, with on-loan signing Jonas Gutierrez stepping in, and Russell Martin replacing Steven Whittaker. Ricky van Wolfswinkel and Gary Hooper stay up top.
Norwich City: Ruddy; Martin, R Bennett, Bassong, Olsson; Snodgrass, Fer, Johnson, Gutierrez; van Wolfswinkel, Hooper
Subs: Bunn, Whittaker, Pilkington, Hoolahan, Becchio, Redmond, Tettey
Hull City: McGregor, Rosenior, Bruce, Chester, Davies, Huddlestone, Koren, Livermore, Jelavic, Sagbo, Elmohamady
Subs: Harper, Figueroa, Meyler, Fryatt, Boyd, Faye, Quinn
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0
- BBC report: Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl 3
- Premier League Playback: Why Manchester City are throwing away the title 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: New York City FC 0
- Rumors know no window: Orlando using Kaka to lure Balotelli to MLS 5
- La Liga & Serie A roundup: Draws for Real, Atletico; Salah shines for Fiorentina 0