Jan 19, 2014, 8:04 PM EDT
The scoresheet hints at a one-sided game on Sunday at Stamford Bridge, but had a couple of moments transpired differently, Manchester United may have seen a better fate in London. Unfortunately for the Red Devils, soccer is a game of moments, the best and worst of which are reflected on the scoreboard. While NBC analyst Graeme Le Saux notes United’s loss featured some silver linings, a lack of execution going forward coupled with mistakes at the back left the visitors decisively defeated.
As Gary Lineker and Lee Dixon discuss in NBC’s London studio, the result makes the January transfer window even more important for David Moyes. On Sunday, without Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney, Manchester United was unable to stay with the title-contending Blues. If the Red Devils are going to close the gap on the league’s final Champions League spot, they may need to spend big before Feb. 1.
Check out the post-match analysis, above, with NBC’s Arlo White, Graeme Le Saux, Gary Lineker and Lee Dixon.
- Week 8 Preview: Playoff rematches in Seattle, New England; new tests for D.C., New York 0
- Schmid takes needed kick at Open Cup-Champions League hornet’s nest 6
- Weekend off gives Toronto a chance to get Michael Bradley right 2
- Home teams take leads in first legs of Europa League semifinals 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Two way tussle for top spot – Week 35 0
- Premier League Scenarios: Title Chase, Race for Europe and Relegation 2