Jan 21, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
It’s going to cost 495 million Euros to upgrade Camp Nou to one of the largest stadiums in the world, as the club’s directors voted against moving to a new venue. Instead, they’ve opted to expand their hallowed home.
Camp Nou’s already pretty huge — we’re talking Top 12 stadiums by capacity in the world — but the expansion will push it into the Top Five. The resolution still needs to be passed by the club’s 160,000+ owning members, but would take the capacity to around 105,000.
For comparison’s sake, Mexico’s giant Estadio Azteca is 105,000. Only four sports buildings in the world are larger: North Korea’s Rungnado May Day Stadium (150,000), India’s Salt Lake Stadium (120,000) and the homes for American college football’s Penn State and Michigan.
Camp Nou opened in 1957 and the new stadium simply would cost too much money for the board to deem it responsible spending. Adding to the positives of growing the building is that Barcelona won’t need a temporary home; Matches will be played during construction, which would take through 2021.
It would also add roofing to cover all spectators, but not the pitch.
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 4
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear