Jan 22, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
After winning five-straight games and positioning themselves rather nicely just behind Arsenal and Manchester City at the top of the table, it’s no wonder Chelsea’s players are confident of winning the Premier League title.
Up until now it’s been a case of quite optimism from Jose Mourinho’s camp, but now Brazilian midfielder Ramires has stated his belief that the blues can take home the PL crown this season.
Ramires, 26, hailed the 3-1 win over Manchester United on Sunday and threw down the gauntlet to Chelsea’s title contenders.
“I love to be on the pitch in big games like the one against Manchester United,” Ramires told Globo Esporte. “The derbies make you feel butterflies in your stomach, make you more motivated to win and I am happy that we have managed to play well. We are now even more confident after that game that we can reach our goal of winning the Premier League, that would be even more special to me as I have never won that title.”
After playing for Benfica in Portugal and Cruzeiro in Brazil, Ramires seems desperate to help Chelsea become the PL champions for just the fourth time in the clubs history. He has already won the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Cup with the Blues, alongside the FA Cup during his first two seasons in West London.
Now he wants domestic success, with the Blues in devastating form since the turn of the year.
This campaign the Brazilian midfielders lung-bursting runs from deep have seen him become a regular in Mourinho’s side as he epitomizes the high work-rate and drive his Portuguese manager demands. Against United on Sunday Ramires was part of a Brazilian central midfielder duo as he and David Luiz dovetailed superbly to win the ball back high up the pitch, allowing the likes of Eden Hazard, Oscar and Willian to hurt Man United in and around the box.
Ramires has added five goals and four assists in his 29 appearances so far this campaign and with the World Cup approaching in his native Brazil, expecting the tireless two-way player to keep on striving for success as the final months of this season run down.
That’s good news for Ramires, Chelsea and the Brazilian national team.
- MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City 0
- WATCH: Stoke City fans erupt into “Delilah” chant during win over Arsenal 0
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Tottenham 0
- WATCH: PST Extra – Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 3
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Everton is Focused on Beating Arsenal
- Moyes and Martinez Back Cleverley
- Luis Suarez Continues to Say the Right Things
- RSL 2014 Season Preview
- Portland Timbers Season Preview
- Toronto FC Season Preview
- Duvall, Oyongo & Stevenson Sign Contracts with NY Red Bulls
- Moyes Writes Open Letter to Man United Fans
- San Jose Earthquakes: Players To Watch In 2014 Season
- A Good Start Would Go A Long Way for the Chicago Fire