Jan 22, 2014, 1:19 PM EDT
Radamel Falcao could be out of the World Cup.
Let that permeate for a while.
The Colombian superstar injured his knee just before half time in Monaco’s cup match again fourth-tier Chasselay on Wednesday.
All this happened after the game started so well for Falcao who opened the scoring for the French side. Falcao is one of the top strikers in today’s game and after twisting his knee awkwardly the Colombian international is set for a lengthy spell on the sidelines. The severity of his injury is not yet known, however the initial prognosis does not look good for the man many believe will be a star of this summer’s World Cup in Brazil.
In a statement released by his club AS Monaco, they revealed that they are waiting for scans to determine how serious Falcao’s injury is.
Falcao, 27, joined Monaco from La Liga side Atletico Madrid during the summer transfer window in a blockbuster deal and many thought the predatory striker could be on his way to Chelsea in the not so distant future.
But it seems like Falcao will have to put playing soccer on ice for a while, as the gruesome picture on Monaco’s official website shows the moment when Falcao sustained the injury. Ouch.
For most of this season the Colombian has been on the treatment table as minuscule injuries have hampered his first season in Ligue 1 with Monaco. The principality team currently sit in second place in France’s top-flight, with Paris Saint-Germain five points ahead of them atop the standings.
Here’s hoping Falcao makes a speedy recovery and gets back fit and raring to go for the World Cup this summer.
If he doesn’t, the tournament will be hurt by his absence as Colombia aim to make a charge on their home continent.
Get well soon, Radamel.
- No more signings: Barcelona’s transfer ban upheld, FIFA rejects appeal 0
- Report: Tottenham set to raid Manchester United, line up Fellaini, Hernandez deals 0
- Spanish Super Cup: Late goal allows Atlético to claim first leg draw at Real Madrid 0
- UEFA Champions League Roundup: Arsenal held; Athletic takes 1-1 draw out of Naples 1
- PST Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Fabián Castillo 0
- Liverpool, Barca target could become youngest capped in Norway history 2