Jan 22, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
Bayern Munich defender Dante, 30, claims Manchester United are interested in signing him. The Brazilian center back is good on the ball and brings a calming influence to proceedings with his stylish range of passing. Think David Luiz, but a little less flamboyant. Apparently he would rather stay at Bayern but it seems as though David Moyes is looking to strengthen defensively as well as in midfield. Is Dante the right man to come in at United? Apparently he’s been a long-term target for the Old Trafford team and if he does arrive it could spell the end for Nemanja Vidic‘s career with the Red Devils. Watch this space, and oh yeah Wayne Rooney could be on his way out of Old Trafford to join Real Madrid…. Read more on that potential blockbuster deal, here.
Liverpool are considering adding Nigel de Jong to their midfield on loan, as the 29-year-old Dutch midfielder has struggled to settle at AC Milan since switching to Italian soccer two years ago. De Jong won the Premier League title with Manchester City in the 2011-12 season and made his name as a tough-tackling midfielder for the Citizens. Liverpool need a short-term replacement as Lucas Leiva is out injured, so de Jong is seen as the ideal quick-fix for Brendan Rodgers’ side.
Arsenal is still on the lookout for a new striker, and it seem as though Benfica’s Rodrigo has jumped to the top of the list. Arsene Wenger is desperate to add reinforcements to his frontline but is only willing to spend if the players are better than what he has. Rodrigo, 22, is being chased by Zenit St. Petersburg but his move to the Russian giants has hit a snag so Arsenal may step in to tie up a deal before the window slams shut. It is thought $37 million could land him, as the Brazilian-born Spaniard prefers a move to Arsenal or Valencia over moving to Zenit. The youngster has scored seven goals in 14 games this season and previously spent a short stint on loan at Bolton as a teenager. Arsenal hope to tie up a loan deal but Benfica prefer a straight purchase.
The Gunners could also be in the hunt for a new full back, as Bacary Sagna continues to stall on a new deal at the Emirates. Sochaux full back Sebastien Corchia, 23, is under contract until 2015 but has hinted he wants to move on to a bigger European club and French side Lille have been knocked back with an offer. With Wenger’s close connections in France, the young defender could pop up at Arsenal with a cut-price deal likely either this January or in the summer.
Finally, Sporting Lisbon and Juventus are the latest sides to be linked with a move for Manchester United’s out of favor winger Nani. The Portuguese flyer, 27, could join his old side Sporting on loan with a view to a permanent deal in the summer. Nani has seen himself fall way down the pecking order at United with the emergence of youngster Adnan Januzaj. A quick deal could be done to free up some space in David Moyes’ squad.
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 3
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs