Jan 22, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
Vancouver Whitecaps captain Jay DeMerit has covered a lot of ground during his soccer journeys. He’s been so very many things.
He was a longshot dreamer coming out of the United States – but one who climbed and climbed and made it to the England’s upper tiers.
Then he was a World Cup starter. And somewhere along the way, DeMerit became a bit of a movie star, the central character in his own fascinating story.
Later, he was a returning MLS hero, making his way back into the top league of the United States and Canada and establishing himself as a Vancouver Whitecaps’ building block.
Now, the man has added something else to his personal CV: Magazine cover boy! Eat your heart out David Beckham.
DeMerit, by the way, recently re-signed with the Whitecaps. We talked just a few weeks ago about why that’s such a good thing for the club, now entering a new day under new manager Carl Robinson.
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 3
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0
- Liverpool complete $20 million signing of Nathaniel Clyne from Southampton 1
- Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup roundup: Union, Orlando, Chicago move on as Charlotte bounced 2
- With the World Cup on the line, the USWNT gave us a vintage performance to savor 1
- United States defeats Germany, advances to Women’s World Cup final 18