Jan 22, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
Vancouver Whitecaps captain Jay DeMerit has covered a lot of ground during his soccer journeys. He’s been so very many things.
He was a longshot dreamer coming out of the United States – but one who climbed and climbed and made it to the England’s upper tiers.
Then he was a World Cup starter. And somewhere along the way, DeMerit became a bit of a movie star, the central character in his own fascinating story.
Later, he was a returning MLS hero, making his way back into the top league of the United States and Canada and establishing himself as a Vancouver Whitecaps’ building block.
Now, the man has added something else to his personal CV: Magazine cover boy! Eat your heart out David Beckham.
DeMerit, by the way, recently re-signed with the Whitecaps. We talked just a few weeks ago about why that’s such a good thing for the club, now entering a new day under new manager Carl Robinson.
- MLS Roundup: Sounders, D.C. United slip; LA gains ground in the West 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Southampton win, Liverpool upset 0
- West Ham United 3-1 Liverpool: Early goals send Irons to big upset 2
- Newcastle United 2-2 Hull City: Cisse’s brace saves embattled Magpies (video) 0
- Aston Villa 0-3 Arsenal: Red-hot Ozil, Welbeck fire Gunners to victory (video) 0