Jan 23, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Adnan Januzaj is not just tearing up the pitch as a member of Manchester United, he’s being torn in several directions with several potential destinations for his international allegiance.
Januzaj has the opportunity to play for Belgium, England (in 2016), Kosovo and Albania (and if you read other reports, a handful of other countries).
And Marc Wilmots wants that Belgian blood to win out.
The Belgian national team manager was in England on Wednesday in an attempt to woo the 18-year-old into his side. Januzaj, who turns 19 on Feb. 5, had previously been publicly told that Wilmots would not compete for his allegiance but things have changed.
For what it’s worth, Moyes is reported to want the youngster to choose Belgium while the Daily Mail says a starting spot in this summer’s World Cup is guaranteed if Januzaj selects the other Rode Duivels.
“Sources” tell the Daily Mail they think England will win out, but that requires a couple more years of wasted international time. His parents are Kosovo-Albanian refugees and reports in the past have stated the family’s desire to see him represent Kosovo. It’s his choice, but what’s your take? I have a hard time believing playing for England would be worth the wait.
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear