Jan 23, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
The transfer window is about to enter its last week, perhaps explaining the lack of activity in Thursday’s market. In Europe’s big five leagues, there was only one true sale finalized, with a veteran Argentine attackers leaving a title contender to get playing time farther down the table.
Elsewhere, a prized Chelsea prospects shifts homes in England’s second tier, a young Brazilian gets his first crack at European soccer, while Genoa brings in reinforcements as they chase a distant Europe League spot.
Here’s what little transfer activity there was on Thursday around Europe:
Chelsea midfield prospect Josh McEachran (pictured, defending Brighton & Hove’s Keithe Andrews) completed his loan move to Wigan Athletic for the remainder of the 2012-13 season. The 20-year-old ha previously been at Watford, where he had only made seven league appearances this season. The move comes on top the deal sends Basel winger Mohamed Salah to Stamford Bridge, a move that is agreed but not officially completed.
Genoa were the day’s most active team, involved in three separate deals. Veteran defender Nicolas Burdisso moves from Roma for an undisclosed fee, while Juventus’s Marco Motta will spend the rest of the season in Liguria on loan. Davide Biondini, on the other hand, leaves the Rossoblu on loan to relegation-battling Sassuolo.
In the day’s only other move, 19-year-old attacker Adryan completed his loan move to Cagliari. The Brazilian scored two goals in 23 games last season for Flamengo.
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear