Jan 23, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
The transfer window is about to enter its last week, perhaps explaining the lack of activity in Thursday’s market. In Europe’s big five leagues, there was only one true sale finalized, with a veteran Argentine attackers leaving a title contender to get playing time farther down the table.
Elsewhere, a prized Chelsea prospects shifts homes in England’s second tier, a young Brazilian gets his first crack at European soccer, while Genoa brings in reinforcements as they chase a distant Europe League spot.
Here’s what little transfer activity there was on Thursday around Europe:
Chelsea midfield prospect Josh McEachran (pictured, defending Brighton & Hove’s Keithe Andrews) completed his loan move to Wigan Athletic for the remainder of the 2012-13 season. The 20-year-old ha previously been at Watford, where he had only made seven league appearances this season. The move comes on top the deal sends Basel winger Mohamed Salah to Stamford Bridge, a move that is agreed but not officially completed.
Genoa were the day’s most active team, involved in three separate deals. Veteran defender Nicolas Burdisso moves from Roma for an undisclosed fee, while Juventus’s Marco Motta will spend the rest of the season in Liguria on loan. Davide Biondini, on the other hand, leaves the Rossoblu on loan to relegation-battling Sassuolo.
In the day’s only other move, 19-year-old attacker Adryan completed his loan move to Cagliari. The Brazilian scored two goals in 23 games last season for Flamengo.
- Premier League transfer window grades – Which team did the best business? 0
- Done Deal: Radamel Falcao completes move to Manchester United 3
- Done Deal: Better late than never, Arsenal seals deal with Welbeck 2
- Americans Abroad wrap: Guzan stays unbeaten, Lichaj & Bedoya thrive 1
- Done Deal: Listing all the Deadline Day deals from the Premier League 5
- Southampton sign Toby Alderweireld, add $18 million winger Sadio Mane 0