Jan 23, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
FC Basel star Mohamed Salah has been pegged as a future Liverpool player in dozens of reports issued over the past month, but plenty of other clubs have had their names lumped into the discussion as “interested.”
Word started to really filter out last night that Chelsea was making a move for the “Egyptian Messi,” and this morning comes the Daily Mail with sources in Switzerland saying Salah to the Blues is happening.
The alleged fee for Salah has risen from 8 to 11 million over rumor season, and as recently as yesterday was reported as headed for Liverpool. But even the Liverpool Echo is reporting that Salah is going to Chelsea, labeling the rising fee funds coming from “Mata money.”
The story says Liverpool won’t match the bid for the speedy, 21-year-old Egyptian winger. He has 17 goals in 27 caps for his country and has scored nine times for Basel in 47 appearances since moving to Switzerland from Arab Contractors SC in 2012.
- EURO 2016 qualifying roundup: Netherlands, Italy rescue draws; Bale, Wales go top 0
- Klinsmann’s USMNT struggles, experimentation in friendlies: Does it really matter? 2
- Klinsmann explains philosophy behind mad scientist lineups, formations for USMNT 6
- Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video) 0
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7