Jan 23, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
FC Basel star Mohamed Salah has been pegged as a future Liverpool player in dozens of reports issued over the past month, but plenty of other clubs have had their names lumped into the discussion as “interested.”
Word started to really filter out last night that Chelsea was making a move for the “Egyptian Messi,” and this morning comes the Daily Mail with sources in Switzerland saying Salah to the Blues is happening.
The alleged fee for Salah has risen from 8 to 11 million over rumor season, and as recently as yesterday was reported as headed for Liverpool. But even the Liverpool Echo is reporting that Salah is going to Chelsea, labeling the rising fee funds coming from “Mata money.”
The story says Liverpool won’t match the bid for the speedy, 21-year-old Egyptian winger. He has 17 goals in 27 caps for his country and has scored nine times for Basel in 47 appearances since moving to Switzerland from Arab Contractors SC in 2012.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Manchester United vs. Chelsea headlines 3
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 3
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 5
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 3