Jan 23, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
After using consecutive draft picks on defenders, the Red Bulls continue to address their back line with the addition of well-traveled Spanish defender Armando Lozano.
The 29-year-old is a former captain of Barcelona’s B side, for which appeared 51 times from 2009-12, scoring twice.
Known just as “Armando,” his arrival comes from Cordoba in Spain’s second division. He’s also spent time at Malaga, Levante, and Cartagena playing seasons mostly in Spain’s second and third divisions, with some time in La Liga.
“Armando provides us with another experienced option at center back, and we are delighted to have agreed to terms with him,” Red Bulls sporting director Andy Roxburgh said in a club statement. “He has played at a good level for many years, serving as the captain for Barcelona’s B team in the past, and we are excited to bring his leadership and technical qualities to our club.”
Armando joins a relatively-old backfield, with 33-year-old Ugandan defender Ibrahim Sekagya (eight matches) and 32-year-old Colombian defender Jamison Olave (27 starts). Kosuke Kamura, Roy Miller and Connor Lade are also in the fray, while New York drafted Wake Forest’s Chris Duvall and Akron’s Eric Stevenson last week.
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 1 0
- Arsenal midfielder Gedion Zelalem about to jump off the U.S. Soccer radar 5
- Stuart Holden out for 6-9 months, as serious injury hits U.S. international once again 3
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s failed UEFA Champions League campaign 1
- Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.) 0
- Two from Diego Costa help Atlético Madrid cruise past Milan in Champions League, 4-1 (5-1, agg.) 0
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers