Jan 23, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
The Telegraph is among the outlets reporting that Colombia’s fears are true: the doubtful status of Radamel Falcao for the 2014 World Cup has been downgraded. He’s out for the tournament in Brazil.
Falcao injured his knee in a Cup match against a fourth-tier side and his absence from the tournament will be not just a major blow for Colombia, but a disappointment for soccer lovers in general.
The 27-year-old striker has starred across several countries and continents — Monaco, Atletico Madrid, Porto, River Plate — also notching 20 goals in 51 caps for Colombia. He was particularly dangerous for the Mattress Makers, where he scored 70 times in 91 appearances. Falcao has scored 10 times through 16 matches during his first season in France.
The injury also casts a pall on Everton’s hopes of securing Lacina Traore now that Monaco’s forward depth is in question. Once assumed to be headed on loan to West Ham, the 6-foot-8 Traore has been reported as close to a loan with the Toffees instead.
As for Colombia, could this open a spot for Fredy Montero? River Plate’s Teofilo Gutierrez and Porto’s Jackson Martinez will likely feature in their strike force, but could Montero nose his way alongside Carlos Bacca and Luis Muriel.
- Stuart Holden out for 6-9 months, as serious injury hits U.S. international once again 1
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s failed UEFA Champions League campaign 1
- Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.) 0
- Two from Diego Costa help Atlético Madrid cruise past Milan in Champions League, 4-1 (5-1, agg.) 0
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Team of the Week – Week 1 0
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Player of the Week: Will Bruin 0
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers