Jan 24, 2014, 10:26 PM EDT
Paris Saint-Germain manager Laurent Blanc was as open as it gets today about who he fancies in the transfer market.
Unfortunately, the recipients weren’t as, well, receptive.
Blanc declared today, “It would be good to recruit a player in the heart of the game, to have an extra player in midfield.”
So who is the midfielder he so desires?
“Yes, [Miralem] Pjanic is interesting,” continued the 48-year-old. “He could be a good alternative to [Yohan] Cabaye. They are both targets for PSG. They are very technical players who have the same profile.”
Well, Pjanic’s current club Roma took offense.
Almost immediately after the quotes were public, the Italian club had a response via Twitter.
So I guess Blanc can take him off the setlist. I think he already knew that though. “I like Pjanic, but I’m not the only one. Roma like him too,” said the bossman in his press conference.
The league-leaders have been looking for a quality midfielder ever since 18-year-old talent Adrien Rabiot went down with a knee injury two weeks ago. There is ligament damage, but will not require an operation and could come back sooner than expected.
Either way, Blanc made it clear he’s looking to fill a spot in the middle of the pitch. However, he didn’t sound like anyone coming in would make it directly into the matchday squad.
“It would be good to recruit a player in the heart of the game, to have an extra player in midfield. We need a player who has the same mentality as the others when they are playing or on the bench.”
That’s not exactly a cry for immediate help, rather a beacon of light searching for someone to provide depth.
- EXCLUSIVE: US Olympic coach Andi Herzog on Rio 2016, MLS, over-age players and more 0
- Real Madrid’s Perez says De Gea move failed because Manchester United lacks transfer “experience” 5
- Preview: USMNT to face Peru in tune-up for CONCACAF playoff vs. Mexico 0
- Three things we learned from USA U-23’s defeat vs. England U-21 0
- If you’ve ever criticized Jurgen Klinsmann or his USMNT, you don’t understand soccer 36
- How will USMNT line up in friendly vs. Peru? 9