Jan 24, 2014, 8:12 PM EDT
It seems the big-name signing of Juan Mata may have done the trick.
The report tabs his proposed new deal at £300,000 per week, or about $25.7 million a year.
A fresh contract with Manchester United would come none too soon for David Moyes. With 18 months left on Rooney’s contract, it was widely believed that if a new extension was not reached between the parties by the start of next season the English star would turn down any further offers and he would walk at the expiration of his current deal in the summer of 2015.
Now, if the report is indeed true, it would allow the 28-year-old to stop worrying about his future and focus on keeping Manchester United in the Champions League.
Rooney’s agent Paul Stretford was seen driving into United’s training ground yesterday, but that was apparently to focus on another matter involving Rooney’s participation in a Nike campaign. Still, there may very well have been discussions then and elsewhere, as apparently United’s furious attempt to land Mata and others this window has convinced the player they mean business.
Wayne himself caused a bit of a stir yesterday when he was photographed driving in Essex, fueling speculation that he was possibly interested in a long-rumored move to Chelsea.
- MLS roundup: Last-place beats 1st-place; Toronto FC top Timbers; Revs, D.C. split points 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: One last time, with feeling (and drama… and dread) 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Tension galore as finale arrives 0
- Premier League scenarios: Europa League and relegation requirements 0
- Premier League Preview: Hull City vs. Manchester United 1
- TV SCHEDULE: Premier League finale – 10 games, 10 channels on Championship Sunday 0