Jan 24, 2014, 8:12 PM EDT
It seems the big-name signing of Juan Mata may have done the trick.
The report tabs his proposed new deal at £300,000 per week, or about $25.7 million a year.
A fresh contract with Manchester United would come none too soon for David Moyes. With 18 months left on Rooney’s contract, it was widely believed that if a new extension was not reached between the parties by the start of next season the English star would turn down any further offers and he would walk at the expiration of his current deal in the summer of 2015.
Now, if the report is indeed true, it would allow the 28-year-old to stop worrying about his future and focus on keeping Manchester United in the Champions League.
Rooney’s agent Paul Stretford was seen driving into United’s training ground yesterday, but that was apparently to focus on another matter involving Rooney’s participation in a Nike campaign. Still, there may very well have been discussions then and elsewhere, as apparently United’s furious attempt to land Mata and others this window has convinced the player they mean business.
Wayne himself caused a bit of a stir yesterday when he was photographed driving in Essex, fueling speculation that he was possibly interested in a long-rumored move to Chelsea.
- On Jurgen Klinsmann and Michael Bradley and “playing out of position” 9
- Three things we learned from the USMNT’s late 1-1 draw in Switzerland 1
- Player ratings: Stars and flops for the USMNT in 1-1 draw at Switzerland 14
- Switzerland 1-1 USMNT: Another late equalizer cancels out Shea’s stunner 3
- VIDEO: Watch Brek Shea’s stunning free kick for USA against Switzerland 3
- Lineups out for USMNT vs. Switzerland: Williams, Morales, Shea come in; diamond in midfield 2