Jan 24, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
The team sheets for today’s FA Cup fourth round match between Arsenal and Coventry City are in, and 16-year-old Gedion Zelalem is inching close to his senior bow with a spot on the Gunners bench.
Zelalem is the teenage sensation of Ethiopian-German blood who lived on American soil for seven years and is being courted by USMNT coach Jurgen Klinsmann.
The bench: Viviano, Sagna, Monreal, Zelalem, Flamini, Cazorla, Giroud.
Another teenager with American ties, Julian Green, made headlines when he made his senior debut for Bayern Munich late in 2013. Green only got into the match for five minutes, but it was a big moment for the German-American (who was featured in a nice piece by SI’s James Young yesterday). Green scored in a friendly win over Al-Merrikh in Doha earlier this month.
We’ll see if Zelalem sees similar token time, a decent run this afternoon at the Emirates, or if he has to wait longer to make his senior debut. He’s expected to sign his first senior contract when he turns 17 this weekend.
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Red Bulls' Opening Act Has A Nightmare Finish
- MLS 2014: Dream Team of Week 1
- Jens Lehmann Downplays Guardiola's Bayern Munich
- Chivas USA Hang on to Take all 3 Points From Chicago Fire
- Three Things: Manchester City - Wigan
- Monarcas Morelia Hire 4th Manager of the Season
- What Moyes Really Meant by Asking Fans for More Time at Man United
- Manchester United Set to Sign Record $1 Billion Sponsorship Deal with Nike
- Will Johnson: We Weren't All Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro