Jan 24, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
The team sheets for today’s FA Cup fourth round match between Arsenal and Coventry City are in, and 16-year-old Gedion Zelalem is inching close to his senior bow with a spot on the Gunners bench.
Zelalem is the teenage sensation of Ethiopian-German blood who lived on American soil for seven years and is being courted by USMNT coach Jurgen Klinsmann.
The bench: Viviano, Sagna, Monreal, Zelalem, Flamini, Cazorla, Giroud.
Another teenager with American ties, Julian Green, made headlines when he made his senior debut for Bayern Munich late in 2013. Green only got into the match for five minutes, but it was a big moment for the German-American (who was featured in a nice piece by SI’s James Young yesterday). Green scored in a friendly win over Al-Merrikh in Doha earlier this month.
We’ll see if Zelalem sees similar token time, a decent run this afternoon at the Emirates, or if he has to wait longer to make his senior debut. He’s expected to sign his first senior contract when he turns 17 this weekend.
- Los Angeles officially given new MLS team; Magic Johnson, Vincent Tan among investors 0
- PST Extra: Getting you ready for The Manchester Derby (video) 0
- European clubs propose later domestic Cup finals, April-May World Cup in 2022 4
- Rumors know no window: Liverpool after Reus, Manchester United wants Draxler 2
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 6
- Timbers’ Steve Zakuani announces retirement from professional soccer 2