Jan 25, 2014, 5:48 PM EST
Chelsea fans will probably still work up a good, healthy dislike for Juan Mata; they are inclined to dislike all things Manchester United, you know? And Mata is bound for Old Trafford in the biggest transfer so far in the ongoing January window.
But it’s going to be a little more difficult after Mata wrote a heartfelt letter to Chelsea fans, posting it on his official website.
Mata says so many nice things about all the nice people and all the nice things that happened to him around Stamford Bridge. He insists they deserve a special and talented team. But is also talks about “complicated situations from a personal point of view, mainly during the last six months.”
That’s where the happy marriage came apart, obviously.
Either way, it really was a classy touch. Here’s part of the letter:
This letter is written from my heart, and first of all I would like to say that I will never forget all the affection given to me by the Chelsea fans. From the very first day until the last. With your support and affection I have grown up as a player and I have had an amazing time both on and off the pitch. I will always feel the gratitude towards you. Always. No words are enough to give back all the things I have received.”
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 2
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- U.S. Soccer confirms three-game send-off series ahead of 2014 World Cup 3
- Eddie Johnson got paid: New D.C. United forward signs Designated Player deal 2
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season