Jan 25, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT
Chelsea fans will probably still work up a good, healthy dislike for Juan Mata; they are inclined to dislike all things Manchester United, you know? And Mata is bound for Old Trafford in the biggest transfer so far in the ongoing January window.
But it’s going to be a little more difficult after Mata wrote a heartfelt letter to Chelsea fans, posting it on his official website.
Mata says so many nice things about all the nice people and all the nice things that happened to him around Stamford Bridge. He insists they deserve a special and talented team. But is also talks about “complicated situations from a personal point of view, mainly during the last six months.”
That’s where the happy marriage came apart, obviously.
Either way, it really was a classy touch. Here’s part of the letter:
This letter is written from my heart, and first of all I would like to say that I will never forget all the affection given to me by the Chelsea fans. From the very first day until the last. With your support and affection I have grown up as a player and I have had an amazing time both on and off the pitch. I will always feel the gratitude towards you. Always. No words are enough to give back all the things I have received.”
- Premier League scenarios: Europa League and relegation requirements 0
- Premier League Preview: Hull City vs. Manchester United 0
- TV SCHEDULE: Premier League finale – 10 games, 10 channels on Championship Sunday 0
- Geoff Cameron takes us behind-the-scenes at Stoke City 1
- Brendan Rodgers insists Raheem Sterling will remain at Liverpool 0
- US Open Cup draw: Sounders-Timbers, NYCFC-NY Cosmos highlight possible 4th-round clashes 1