Jan 25, 2014, 8:45 AM EST
Despite whispers last week that Julian Draxler would not be headed to Arsenal, Saturday’s top rumor stars the Schalke forward. German sources are claiming that the clubs have already agreed on a fee, and the Gunners are now in negotiations with the 20 year old. Then again, Arsenal have also claimed that they’re not currently set to do any business this transfer window, so take your pick on who to believe on this one.
Newcastle just might be about to finally land Luuk de Jong. The striker keeps getting linked to the Magpies, but it seems this time the deal may actually get done – possibly even before their game against Norwich on Tuesday. Currently at Bundesliga side Borussia Mönchengladbach, the 23 year old is eager for a move away after falling out with manager Lucien Favre last year, and consequently seeing his playing time reduced.
West Ham sure are getting linked to quite a few players, many of them former big names that have subsequently moved away from the Premier League. Today’s rumor is no exception: it seems the Irons are after former Chelsea man Raul Meireles. The midfielder joined Turkish side Fenerbahce back in 2012, but he reckons he’s no longer seeing enough of the pitch, and could be persuaded to return to England. AC Milan midfielder Antonio Nocerino may also come in on loan, helping to prop up Sam Allardyce‘s beleaguered defense.
When your career is suffering due to making an anti-Semitic gesture, and you just can’t convince anyone that you’re not racist, but simply “anti-establishment,” what’s the next step? Why, arrange a transfer to Lazio, of course. With the Serie A side’s supporters having a reputation towards fascism and, yes, racism, this move just might be genius in its simplicity. With Miroslav Klose not knocking in nearly as many goals as last season, Lazio could use another striker, and moving to Italy gets Nicolas Anelka out of his five match (or longer) ban.
Finally, yesterday showed us all just how the transfer window makes everyone slightly crazy. Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen got a bunch of people all excited when he tweeted out “Touchdown Florence!!” from his official account. Naturally this lead to speculation that the Belgian was set to leave Spurs for Fiorentina, causing much excitement amongst viola fans, who are well aware of the side’s need for a quality defender. Alas the rumor was squashed quickly, Fiorentina fans being left with broken hearts after learning Vertonghen was simply there for a vacation.
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 9
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes
- Players to Watch: Montreal Impact
- Ireland's Premier Division Season Kicks off
- Away-Goal Rule is the Novelty for this Year's MLS Playoffs
- Barrett Nails Last Minute Goal for Seattle 1-0 Victory
- Three Things: Chelsea 4-0 Spurs
- FIFA Fines Argentine Clubs for Fake Transfers
- Sunderland Boss Poyet Challenges Altidore to Prove Him Wrong
- 3 Hopes and One Fear for Montreal Impact