Jan 26, 2014, 7:55 AM EDT
It’s no secret that Chelsea have a bit of a forward problem – as in, their forwards have trouble producing goals with any regularity. With the Blues’ midfield, goals still are inevitable, but the side are still in need of firepower up top. So why not secure the services of Edinson Cavani? The striker moved from Napoli to PSG just last summer, but it’s reported the Uruguayan isn’t settling in well, possibly due having to play out wide to accommodate Zlatan Ibrahimović. Cavani’s made just 16 starts for PSG yet scored 13 goals, making him an attractive target for the Blues. However, in order to fund the move, it’s said that Chelsea will need to sell Romelu Lukaku.
If poaching Cavani from Paris doesn’t work out for Chelsea, they may be able to land Diego Costa from Atlético Madrid. The latest buzz says the Blues have already reached an agreement with the Spanish side to bring in the forward in the summer, meeting the £32m buyout clause necessary to secure his services. The Brazilian has 19 goals in 20 games, which is sure to make keeping Lukaku look like the least attractive option.
Speaking of Lukaku, Everton are eager to make a loan signing permanent…but it’s not that of the Belgian. No, apparently Roberto Martinez thinks that it’s Gareth Barry that’s been the most influential member of the side this season, and he wants to land the midfielder on a permanent contract this summer. Barry’s contract with Manchester City runs out come June, and the Everton boss has said it should be a priority for the club to keep the 32 year old.
Moving to the red side of town, Liverpool are hoping to sort out their midfield problem by bringing in André Gomes from Benfica. With Lucas out for two months and Steven Gerrard plagued by a reoccurring back injury, Liverpool are prepared to pay top dollar for reinforcements. That’s fortunate, as after Chelsea snapped up Nemanja Matić last week, Gomes’s price is sure to shoot up. In fact, it seems the Portuguese side want £12.4m for the 20 year old.
Finally, it seems that, despite paying £37m for Juan Mata, Manchester United aren’t yet done doing business in the January transfer window. At least, the club hopes they’re not finished yet. Tongues started wagging after David Moyes was spotted in the stands watching Bayern Munich beat Borussia Mönchengladbach, but now rumors suggest that the United boss wasn’t just looking at Toni Kroos. The midfielder is represented by the same company that handles Marco Reus, and Moyes is thought to have asked about the Dortmund attacker as well. However, neither is likely to be available until the summer.
- In a career full of blunders, firing Carlo Ancelotti is Florentino Perez’s worst mistake yet 4
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: The managers 0
- Florentino Perez announces firing of Carlo Ancelotti by Real Madrid 0
- Middlesbrough 0-2 Norwich City: Comfortable Canaries back in Premier League 0
- Ten biggest storylines of the Premier League season that was 0
- VIDEO: Premier League’s Top 10 goals of the season, from A(dam) to Z(amora) 0