Jan 27, 2014, 9:25 PM EST
As we scan the MLS landscape for interesting stories early in the season, Colorado sticks out … and for all the wrong reasons. Long story short, the Rapids look like a bit of a mess right now.
As workouts begin, Pablo Mastroeni (pictured) is more or less in charge of the team. Mastroeni is a guy I respect a lot – so do a lot of people. So this is no indictment of the longtime U.S. and MLS figure who just retired as a player.
But he has no professional coaching experience. He’s in charge because the team has yet to replace Oscar Pareja. And that’s the front office’s fault for having made such a mess in handling their head coaching position, refusing to grant permission initially for Dallas to interview Pareja (never a good idea) and then appearing to handle negotiations with FCD in a fairly clumsy way.
Something else is going on that isn’t completely the Rapids fault.
Hendry Thomas remains dug into a contract standoff, apparently seeking a big pay raise. The skillful Honduran’s emergence as tough, dependable holding midfielder helped get Colorado into last year’s playoffs.
This could be routine stuff; contact impasses and salary disputes are as much a part of the sports landscape as athletic tape or water bottles. But it’s also fair to wonder if big contracts just handed to a pair of newly minted, high profile MLS midfielders, Michael Bradley and Maurice Edu, are complicating these negotiations. (They play roughly the same position, although Bradley is more of a two-way man.)
Further, it’s fair to wonder if this is just the beachhead in negotiations complicated by the pair’s big salaries? Either way, Colorado is in a fix for the time being, although there is just a bit of time to put things right before the season opens in March.
- Diego Costa could get retrospective ban, miss Chelsea’s clash vs. Manchester City 0
- Gareth Bale dismisses Manchester United speculation, happy at Real Madrid 1
- In less than five months, Diego Costa has become Premier League villain No. 1 4
- Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool: Ivanovic ensures Blues trip to Cup final after testy second leg 0
- New York, Montreal complete huge trade; Kljestan free to join Red Bulls 7
- Report: Manchester City to play New York City in Yankee Stadium friendly 2