Jan 27, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
As we scan the MLS landscape for interesting stories early in the season, Colorado sticks out … and for all the wrong reasons. Long story short, the Rapids look like a bit of a mess right now.
As workouts begin, Pablo Mastroeni (pictured) is more or less in charge of the team. Mastroeni is a guy I respect a lot – so do a lot of people. So this is no indictment of the longtime U.S. and MLS figure who just retired as a player.
But he has no professional coaching experience. He’s in charge because the team has yet to replace Oscar Pareja. And that’s the front office’s fault for having made such a mess in handling their head coaching position, refusing to grant permission initially for Dallas to interview Pareja (never a good idea) and then appearing to handle negotiations with FCD in a fairly clumsy way.
Something else is going on that isn’t completely the Rapids fault.
Hendry Thomas remains dug into a contract standoff, apparently seeking a big pay raise. The skillful Honduran’s emergence as tough, dependable holding midfielder helped get Colorado into last year’s playoffs.
This could be routine stuff; contact impasses and salary disputes are as much a part of the sports landscape as athletic tape or water bottles. But it’s also fair to wonder if big contracts just handed to a pair of newly minted, high profile MLS midfielders, Michael Bradley and Maurice Edu, are complicating these negotiations. (They play roughly the same position, although Bradley is more of a two-way man.)
Further, it’s fair to wonder if this is just the beachhead in negotiations complicated by the pair’s big salaries? Either way, Colorado is in a fix for the time being, although there is just a bit of time to put things right before the season opens in March.
- Lineups out for USMNT vs. Switzerland: Williams, Morales, Shea come in; diamond in midfield 2
- VIDEO: Watch Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale dominate NBA’s half court challenge 0
- Study says Lionel Messi top striker in 2015, Cristiano Ronaldo 29th best 3
- USMNT vs Switzerland preview: Last time they met, Michael Bradley scored the winner with a full head of hair 0
- MLS Player of the Week — Week 4 0
- NWSL mega deal sends Sydney Leroux Dwyer to WNY for rights to Abby Wambach 1