Jan 27, 2014, 8:32 PM EST
It still deserves viewing as a “longshot,” but perhaps Timothy Chandler could make a late dash at a U.S. World Cup roster spot, afterall.
It’s a longshot because U.S. coaches and staff long ago tired of Chandler’s lack of maturity and inability to become the kind of consummate professional the game’s highest level demands. Embracing that ultimate professionalism has been a cornerstone of Jurgen Klinsmann’s comprehensive national team advancement efforts.
But … Steve Cherundolo’s ongoing injury struggles, attached to the ongoing inability for any of the challengers to put a lock on the right back spot, means Chandler might still have a wedge into the conversation.
And he does seem to be doing well lately. Chandler was named to Kicker Online’s Bundesliga Team of the Week after scoring last week in Nuremberg’s 4-0 win over Hoffenheim. That was for Week 18; if you click on the “Spieltag” tab and go to Week 17, you’ll see that this is Chandler’s second week in a row to appear on Kicker’s team of the week.
- Now that it’s happening, MLS’s 20th season is sure to be the best one yet 2
- 2015 MLS season preview: LA Galaxy 1
- 2015 MLS season preview: Portland Timbers 0
- PST predicts Major League Soccer’s 2015 standings; Do you agree? 9
- Premier League Playback: With 10 games to go, here’s how things stand 3
- Men In Blazers podcast: Ginormous preview of 2015 MLS season with Alexi Lalas 0