Jan 27, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
It still deserves viewing as a “longshot,” but perhaps Timothy Chandler could make a late dash at a U.S. World Cup roster spot, afterall.
It’s a longshot because U.S. coaches and staff long ago tired of Chandler’s lack of maturity and inability to become the kind of consummate professional the game’s highest level demands. Embracing that ultimate professionalism has been a cornerstone of Jurgen Klinsmann’s comprehensive national team advancement efforts.
But … Steve Cherundolo’s ongoing injury struggles, attached to the ongoing inability for any of the challengers to put a lock on the right back spot, means Chandler might still have a wedge into the conversation.
And he does seem to be doing well lately. Chandler was named to Kicker Online’s Bundesliga Team of the Week after scoring last week in Nuremberg’s 4-0 win over Hoffenheim. That was for Week 18; if you click on the “Spieltag” tab and go to Week 17, you’ll see that this is Chandler’s second week in a row to appear on Kicker’s team of the week.
- Sloppy USWNT 4-0 win over Mexico adds fuel to turf conversation fire 0
- Europe League roundup: Everton big winners at home; Spurs left with draw on the road 0
- It’s not too late for Major League Soccer to turn away from its new logo 18
- Premier League Power Rankings: Red Devils and Villans on the up 1
- PHOTO: MLS unveils new logo. What do you think? 24
- US move up one place in latest FIFA rankings; Wales the big winners 0