Jan 27, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
It still deserves viewing as a “longshot,” but perhaps Timothy Chandler could make a late dash at a U.S. World Cup roster spot, afterall.
It’s a longshot because U.S. coaches and staff long ago tired of Chandler’s lack of maturity and inability to become the kind of consummate professional the game’s highest level demands. Embracing that ultimate professionalism has been a cornerstone of Jurgen Klinsmann’s comprehensive national team advancement efforts.
But … Steve Cherundolo’s ongoing injury struggles, attached to the ongoing inability for any of the challengers to put a lock on the right back spot, means Chandler might still have a wedge into the conversation.
And he does seem to be doing well lately. Chandler was named to Kicker Online’s Bundesliga Team of the Week after scoring last week in Nuremberg’s 4-0 win over Hoffenheim. That was for Week 18; if you click on the “Spieltag” tab and go to Week 17, you’ll see that this is Chandler’s second week in a row to appear on Kicker’s team of the week.
- Complete list of every transfer in the Premier League on Deadline Day 0
- Manchester United fires back on De Gea saga, laying blame at feet of Real Madrid 0
- GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window? 4
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0
- Deadline Day transfer rumor roundup: Hector to Chelsea, Berahino to Tottenham 0
- How did David de Gea’s move to Real Madrid collapse? Here’s a few answers 3