Early odds for 2014 MLS Cup champions are out

Jan 27, 2014, 4:35 PM EDT

Bruce Arena

I always say, don’t argue with guys who build gazillion dollar casinos, the kind with a bunch of $400 bathroom sinks lined up 18 across.

The point is, they didn’t reap the high stacks of cash required to build those opulent behemoths by being bad at the gambling business. They know their stuff.

That said, we’ll make a couple of quick points about the early, early MLS Championship odds. (Posted below, from the biggie online betting site Bovada.)

Interesting that Portland, which made so much progress last year in Caleb Porter’s first season, weren’t a little closer to the L.A. Galaxy as top favorite. There’s no reason to believe that Porter cannot further improve on things around Jeld-Wen Field.

The Houston Dynamo at 12-1 (seventh best odds)? I suppose that’s about right, but would it really shock anyone to see another deep run, or even another MLS Cup appearance from a Dominic Kinnear team? They’ll just kind of paddle along like usual, probably finish third or fourth in the East, as usual, and then they’ll eliminate a higher seeded team or two. As usual.

The best dark horse bet: The Vancouver Whitecaps, even without Golden Boot winner Camilo, have something better than 33-1 talent.

source:

1. lavatomy - Jan 27, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Why is Houston still playing in the East?

• Steve Davis - Jan 27, 2014 at 4:55 PM

I’d say there is a VERY good chance that will change once New York and Orlando join the league in a year. That’s a conversation that will pop up here and there over the next few months.

2. player169 - Jan 27, 2014 at 5:31 PM

LA Galaxy have a completely new roster and aging stars…I don’t see it. I am a KC fan and I don’t know that I would put them that high either unless they sign Myers and another DP (one that is in the starting XI)…

3. danielofthedale - Jan 27, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Seattle seem a little a high to me. If I was the kind of a guy to drop a few dollars on this kind of thing the Timbers look like a nice number.

4. geojock - Jan 27, 2014 at 6:25 PM

I would be interesting to see the odds from the beginning of the last 3 years

5. dfstell - Jan 27, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Betting any of these teams with odds of less that 10-1 is insane. I don’t care if they are a good team given how much parity exists in MLS, how shallow the teams are because of the salary cap, how the world cup will affect players, injuries…….oh yeah……and a semi-random playoff structure.

The smart bet would be to put money on Columbus, Vancouver, DC, Philly, Colorado and Chivas (well….maybe NOT Chivas) and hope one of them gets lucky.

These odds are more like odds for the Supporter’s Shield.

6. wynswrld - Jan 27, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Does anyone really bet on the MLS Cup?

7. bishopofblunder - Jan 27, 2014 at 9:45 PM

A very wise man once told me that bookies set odds based less on a team’s chances of success or the actual outcome of a game or season, and more on how people are likely to bet.

• talgrath - Jan 27, 2014 at 11:14 PM

And that man is correct. The odds have much less to do with the actual chances that the team will win and more a matter of risk management based on betting attitudes. A team with high odds, meaning that a bet can get you many times the money should they succeed is likely both unpopular to bet on and has little chance of winning; a team with low odds, meaning that a bet gets you little money if they win is both popular and likely to win.

Week 34: Sunday Recap