Jan 28, 2014, 9:09 AM EDT
Luuk de Jong was all but Newcastle property, if you read the rumor mill two summers ago, and now his Bundesliga club has Tweeted that the 23-year-old Dutch striker is off to St. James Park for a medical.
As Yohan Cabaye undergoes the proper medical tests ahead of his transfer to PSG, it seems de Jong is getting his own pokes and prods in Northeast England as he prepares for a loan deal from Borussia Monchengladbach.
The younger brother of Ajax captain Siem de Jong, Luuk scored 39 goals in 76 appearances for FC Twente and Newcastle was ready to swoop when the price started going up. The player accused his club of forcing the price too high for his desired move to the Premier League, and he eventually moved to Monchengladbach for over 12 million pounds.
But Luuk’s spell in Germany has not gone as planned. In 2012-13, he scored eight goals in 23 matches across all competitions, twice in Europe, and has had trouble with form this season: He hasn’t netted in 14 matches.
Luuk de Jong has appeared seven times for the Netherlands, scoring once in a Euro 2012 qualifier against Finland.
- Monday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: PSG’s $133 million Ronaldo bid, Stones to Chelsea 1
- Amid reports of journalist brawl, Mexico boss Miguel Herrera looks ahead to USMNT showdown 4
- Manchester United lack creativity to challenge top clubs, says Louis van Gaal 6
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Arsenal 9
- Mexico 3-1 Jamaica: El Tri overpowers Cinderella story to win Gold Cup 30
- Frank Lampard ruled out of MLS All-Star game 2