Jan 28, 2014, 11:13 PM EDT
Tuesday’s Premier League action cast a spotlight on the league’s two biggest races: the title chase; and the battle for fourth. At the top of the league, Arsenal got all they could handle at St. Mary’s, and while a 2-2 result at Southampton is nothing to be ashamed of, it also provides openings for Manchester City and Chelsea. Come this time on Wednesday, the league-leading Gunners could be in third place.
As for fourth, Liverpool dealt rival Everton an embarrassing blow with a 4-0 win at Anfield, the largest Merseyside Derby victory since 1982. The win leaves the Reds four points clear of the Toffees for the league’s last UEFA Champions League spot, with Tottenham nestled in between. Spurs host Manchester City on Wednesday.
Elsewhere, Crystal Palace and Swansea City moved well clear of relegation with home wins over Hull City and Fulham (respectively). Norwich City also has breathing room from the drop, though they couldn’t steal a late victory at home against Newcastle.
Here are highlights from all of Tuesday’s matches. On Wednesday, four games close out the 23rd round of this season’s Premier League.
- Top 5 Premier League storylines ahead of Week 4: Transfer deadline day looms 2
- Analyzing UEFA Champions League group stage draw for four Premier League teams 0
- Full draw: Epic UEFA Champions League group stage will see giants collide 3
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Neymar in talks, Olic to Stoke City 0
- Wolfsburg say Kevin de Bruyne not heading to Manchester City “at this point” 9
- 2015-16 Premier League Power Rankings, Vol. I: Taking very early stock with Man City on top 8