Jan 28, 2014, 11:13 PM EST
Tuesday’s Premier League action cast a spotlight on the league’s two biggest races: the title chase; and the battle for fourth. At the top of the league, Arsenal got all they could handle at St. Mary’s, and while a 2-2 result at Southampton is nothing to be ashamed of, it also provides openings for Manchester City and Chelsea. Come this time on Wednesday, the league-leading Gunners could be in third place.
As for fourth, Liverpool dealt rival Everton an embarrassing blow with a 4-0 win at Anfield, the largest Merseyside Derby victory since 1982. The win leaves the Reds four points clear of the Toffees for the league’s last UEFA Champions League spot, with Tottenham nestled in between. Spurs host Manchester City on Wednesday.
Elsewhere, Crystal Palace and Swansea City moved well clear of relegation with home wins over Hull City and Fulham (respectively). Norwich City also has breathing room from the drop, though they couldn’t steal a late victory at home against Newcastle.
Here are highlights from all of Tuesday’s matches. On Wednesday, four games close out the 23rd round of this season’s Premier League.
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video) 1
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0