Jan 28, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Arsenal have their work cut out for them if they wish to remain top of the league.
That’s the case every week from here on out, with Manchester City breathing down their necks, any slip-up from the Gunners could be title death.
It’s been a tough few weeks for the Saints, falling handily to Chelsea on New Year’s Day, finding themselves held at Sunderland just about a week ago, and dealing with some front-office strain.
Today, however, they get some injury relief, which would be much appreciated by Mauricio Ponchettino. Midfield bruiser Victor Wanyama returns after a 7-week layoff, on the bench for today. It’s a much-needed reinforcement, with Rickie Lambert, Dani Osvaldo, Dejan Lovern, and Gaston Ramirez all out.
Goalkeeper Artur Boruc is also back in goal after being rested in the weekend’s FA Cup bout with Yeovil Town.
Bacary Sagna also starts, reportedly close to a new long-term contract with the Gunners.
Southampton – Boruc, Chambers, Fonte, Yoshida, Shaw, Cork, Schneiderlin, S. Davis, Lallana, Rodriguez, Gallagher.
Bench – K. Davis, Clyne, Wanyama, Ward-Prowse, Guly, Hooiveld, Isgrove.
Arsenal – Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Arteta, Flamini, Ozil, Cazorla, Gnabry, Giroud.
Bench – Fabianski, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Jenkinson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Podolski, Bendtner.
- Moyes statement on dismissal; Reports say he was recruiting to the end 1
- Head coach Marc Wilmots says Adnan Januzaj will play for Belgium 1
- Who’s in across Europe? Glancing at the 2014/15 UEFA Champions League 1
- Barcelona’s transfer ban suspended by FIFA, should allow club to make summer moves 0
- Champions League preview: Defending champion Bayern Munich looks to end Real Madrid quest for 10th title 0
- Alex Ferguson backed David Moyes’ firing, will help select a successor 0