Jan 28, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Arsenal have their work cut out for them if they wish to remain top of the league.
That’s the case every week from here on out, with Manchester City breathing down their necks, any slip-up from the Gunners could be title death.
It’s been a tough few weeks for the Saints, falling handily to Chelsea on New Year’s Day, finding themselves held at Sunderland just about a week ago, and dealing with some front-office strain.
Today, however, they get some injury relief, which would be much appreciated by Mauricio Ponchettino. Midfield bruiser Victor Wanyama returns after a 7-week layoff, on the bench for today. It’s a much-needed reinforcement, with Rickie Lambert, Dani Osvaldo, Dejan Lovern, and Gaston Ramirez all out.
Goalkeeper Artur Boruc is also back in goal after being rested in the weekend’s FA Cup bout with Yeovil Town.
Bacary Sagna also starts, reportedly close to a new long-term contract with the Gunners.
Southampton – Boruc, Chambers, Fonte, Yoshida, Shaw, Cork, Schneiderlin, S. Davis, Lallana, Rodriguez, Gallagher.
Bench – K. Davis, Clyne, Wanyama, Ward-Prowse, Guly, Hooiveld, Isgrove.
Arsenal – Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Arteta, Flamini, Ozil, Cazorla, Gnabry, Giroud.
Bench – Fabianski, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Jenkinson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Podolski, Bendtner.
- MLS Player of the Week — Week 8: Columbus Crew SC’s Ethan Finlay 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 8 0
- Not even allowed an appeal: CONCACAF confirms Bush suspension for Champions League final 2
- Premier League Playback: Chelsea brilliant, not boring, as title inches closer 0
- MLS official squashes rumor of emergency intra-MLS goalkeeper loan for CONCACAF Champions League final 11
- VIDEO: Premier League Player of the Week — Round 34 0