Jan 29, 2014, 11:10 PM EST
Two days to go until deadline day, and we saw a few hints activity’s about to pick up. That’s in sharp contrast to yesterday, where activity was so scarce that we skipped this feature. Ideally we’d like to do Done Deal every day, be a few times this week, the only purpose to the post would have been to confirm nothing happened. That seems like a waste of your time.
Today one of the biggest transfers of the winter window was confirmed, with one of the best midfielders in the Premier League making a return to his home country. In the day’s other big sale, a Barcelona prospect makes his way to a relegation-embattled Serie A side, a move sure to be a culture shock for the 17-year-old.
Add in a couple of loans and we almost have a full day’s action. Almost:
Newcastle – Two moves that began falling into place came to fruition on Wednesday. Yohan Cabaye, a French midfielder that has been the Magpies’ best player for some time, completed his move to Paris Saint-Germain, with Newcastle cashing in to the tune of $30 million. Arriving on the same day is Luuk de Jong, who had struggled to see significant minutes at Borussia Mönchengladbach.
Genoa – Hungarian midfielder Daniel Tözsér moves on loan to Watford, the 28-year-old electing to move to the English second division in a quest for playing time. The former international had not make a Serie A appearance this season.
Barcelona – Paraguayan forward Antonio Sanabria, who had yet to make a senior-level appearance with the squad, will finish the season at Sassuolo in Italy after being sold to Roma. Set to spend the rest of the 2013-14 season on loan, the 17-year-old moves to the peninsula after a reported $16.4 million fee from the Giallorossi.
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video) 1
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0