Jan 29, 2014, 10:22 AM EST
What’s going on in the transfer window recently described by West Ham manager Sam Allardyce as the “most ruthless” one he’s seen? Let’s take a spin through Rumor Town (their FC is nicknamed ‘The Bidders’).
The latest on Julian Draxler from Schalke to Arsenal is that the Gunners have sent a delegation to Germany to try and reach an agreement. The rub has been that Arsene Wenger and his bosses didn’t want to meet Draxler’s high contract release fee, but between 30-37 million pounds is the territory. The 20-year-old has five goals and six assists this year.
Andreas Cornelius was Cardiff City’s record-signing, and it remains to be seen if he’ll be one of their record sales as he’s tipped to return to FC Copenhagen. The striker hasn’t scored in 11 appearances for the club under two managers (and also looks a lot like villainous Todd Alquist from Breaking Bad).
It wasn’t long ago that Adel Taarabt was among the Premier League’s hottest commodities, but yet another English team is ready to send him a way for a while as Taarabt is being linked with a loan to AC Milan in exchange for defender Cristiano Zaccardo. Meanwhile, as our own Kyle Bonn has been saying for a bit, the Cottagers may be working out a 4-year deal with Greek star Kostas Mitroglou. Newcastle and Liverpool were both linked with the prolific Olympiacos striker.
Speaking of Italy, reports say Serie A giants Inter Milan could be bringing Nani on loan from Manchester United. This on the heels of whispers that Jose Mourinho wanted Nani as part of the deal that sent Juan Mata to Old Trafford and Sky’s talk that AC Milan could be his destination. Nani signed a five-year deal with United this summer.
- Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Congo, Equatorial Guinea victorious in group finales, advance 0
- FA Cup Roundup: Upsets halted with West Ham, Villa, Arsenal wins 1
- Rodgers says Balotelli needs to vastly improve before playing for Liverpool 0
- Italy head coach Antonio Conte supports Sebastian Giovinco’s move to MLS 8
- USMNT U-20s defeat El Salvador, 2-0, qualify for 2015 U-20 World Cup 1
- Jurgen Klinsmann names 23-man roster for USMNT friendlies vs. Chile, Panama 0