Jan 30, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Seriously, how difficult is it now to keep up with all of Freddy Adu’s whereabouts?
He’s in Portugal, right? Or, wait … no! He went to Brazil. That’s it!
What? He’s already been run out of there, too? Oh … so … back in MLS, maybe? We heard he was in the D.C. area around Christmas time. So, perhaps to a fourth MLS club?
His wandering career has been a sad litany of stops and starts, attached to an alarming geographical variety.
Turns out, the guy is training in England with Blackpool. For those keeping score, this would be his 10th team and sixth country.
But it probably won’t be. Because the chances that Adu, 24, actually catches on with the mid-table Championship side (the Championship is England’s second tier) seem pretty slim.
If he couldn’t make an impact at Philadelphia (the most recent MLS stop), and couldn’t last more than a few months for Bahia in one of Brazil’s lower tier state leagues, he’s going to be a longshot to catch on with a club in England, where the establishment and supporters frequently value hard work and tackling in the midfield as much as technical craft. That sure ain’t Adu’s game.
Besides, he might struggle to get a work permit.
But, hey, at least we know where the guy is now.
- Norwich City 2-3 Liverpool: Sterling, Reds with one hand on the title 0
- Premier League Sunday Preview: Liverpool’s chance to tighten its grip; Fourth place in focus 0
- MLS Roundup: Sporting climbs to first in East; RSL stays undefeated 0
- Late Martins goal gives Seattle full points at Chivas USA (video) 0
- Grabavoy winner prolongs Portland’s agony against Real Salt Lake (video) 0
- Pérez’s late goal gives FC Dallas 2-1 win over Toronto FC (video) 2