Jan 30, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
According to the Montreal Impact, veteran defender Matteo Ferrari and Impact sporting director Nick De Santis have had a little conversation and things are all patched up and dandy.
But, honestly, I’m still trying to figure out what he said that was so bad. Here’s what the Italian veteran told reporters: “Right now, when I think about last year’s team, I think we’re a little bit – how can I say – not as good as before. We lost key players. We haven’t replaced anybody until now. I don’t know, maybe it’s early to say something because the market is still open. But I would like to say that because I don’t want people to think that we have to do what we did last year – of course, we won – but like this, it would be more difficult.”
It seems pretty clear that Ferrari (pictured) wasn’t dogging the Impacts younger players. He was, however, speaking of the two classy veterans who have yet to be replaced. One was Alessandro Nesta, who had certainly lost a step. But, my heavens, that guy is one the best Italian defenders of all time, and that’s saying something. He has forgotten more about the art of “conquering the ball,” as one Italian defender once said to me, than plenty of MLS defenders will ever know.
Davy Arnaud s the other Impact man who has yet to be replaced. He was the heart and soul of the team, not to mention a crowd favorite.
So, again, what was Ferrari’s sin here?
De Santis was apparently bothered at suggestions that younger players are quite ready to fill voids left by older, experienced types? Honestly, I don’t get that. Of course they aren’t. Or, at very least, it’s OK to wonder if they are ready for bigger tests.
At any rate, all seems well again. Frank Klopas is a players’ coach and he’ll have a solid handle on how to deal with any residual effect. If there is any to deal with – and there probably will not be, since the players probably don’t believe what Ferrari said was a big deal, either.
- VIDEO: Mario Balotelli takes amazing selfie with two pitch invaders 0
- Teams confirm Dejan Lovren completes transfer from Southampton to Liverpool 0
- Loïc Rémy fails medical, move to Liverpool is off 5
- Ángel Di María approaching Paris Saint-Germain move 0
- Personal terms all that separates Griezmann from $40 million move to Atlético Madrid 0
- Manuel Pellegrini talks title ambitions, Manchester City vs. AC Milan, US tour 1