Jan 31, 2014, 1:11 PM EST
With just a few hours left in the January transfer window, you can’t help but feel Arsenal are shooting themselves in the foot once again.
Arsene Wenger‘s side are second, just one point off Manchester City above them and are perfectly poised to make a real charge for this Premier League title. They are close to adding Swedish veteran midfielder Kim Kallstrom on loan from Spartak Moscow.
But how do they intend to do that with just one top striker in their squad?
If Olivier Giroud gets injured in the last four months of the season, Arsenal are struggling. Big time. Yes, we know they have Nicklas Bendtner as back up and the big Dane has done well this season when called upon, and even bagged a few in the back of the onion bag when needed.
However with Bendtner’s shocking injury record, the Gunners can’t rely on him being fit for the rest of the campaign. Add Theo Walcott‘s season-ending injury into the mix and the squad has been further depleted with only Lukas Podolski able to play up front, apart from Giroud and Bendtner.
So with a striker shortage, Wenger makes a bid on deadline day for… a central midfielder.
Okay, they have a few injuries there with Aaron Ramsey and Jack Wilshere out with nsmall injuries, and Mathieu Flamini is out for four games following his red card. But is there really a need to sign Kallstrom when Wenger has a massive batch of young stars such as Zelalem Gedion on the sidelines? Why not give them a chance?
Nothing against Kallstrom, but this just seems like a strange transfer for a side on the verge of finishing in the top two, or even clinching the title, for the first time in a decade.
- Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Atsu and Bony lead Ghana, Ivory Coast into semis 0
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Spurs to snatch Laporte, Liverpool in for Reid 1
- Southampton 0-1 Swansea: Shelvey snatches win with sensational late strike 0
- Arsenal 5-0 Aston Villa: Gunners torch hapless Villa with deadly counters 0
- Diego Costa maintains his innocence, says “I’ve not done anything wrong” 4
- DONE DEAL: Seydou Doumbia to Roma headlines quiet Saturday for transfers 0