Jan 31, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
With just a few hours left in the January transfer window, you can’t help but feel Arsenal are shooting themselves in the foot once again.
Arsene Wenger‘s side are second, just one point off Manchester City above them and are perfectly poised to make a real charge for this Premier League title. They are close to adding Swedish veteran midfielder Kim Kallstrom on loan from Spartak Moscow.
But how do they intend to do that with just one top striker in their squad?
If Olivier Giroud gets injured in the last four months of the season, Arsenal are struggling. Big time. Yes, we know they have Nicklas Bendtner as back up and the big Dane has done well this season when called upon, and even bagged a few in the back of the onion bag when needed.
However with Bendtner’s shocking injury record, the Gunners can’t rely on him being fit for the rest of the campaign. Add Theo Walcott‘s season-ending injury into the mix and the squad has been further depleted with only Lukas Podolski able to play up front, apart from Giroud and Bendtner.
So with a striker shortage, Wenger makes a bid on deadline day for… a central midfielder.
Okay, they have a few injuries there with Aaron Ramsey and Jack Wilshere out with nsmall injuries, and Mathieu Flamini is out for four games following his red card. But is there really a need to sign Kallstrom when Wenger has a massive batch of young stars such as Zelalem Gedion on the sidelines? Why not give them a chance?
Nothing against Kallstrom, but this just seems like a strange transfer for a side on the verge of finishing in the top two, or even clinching the title, for the first time in a decade.
- WATCH LIVE: The USWNT takes on Germany in the Women’s World Cup semifinals (Lineups, Live Stream) 0
- Reports: Galaxy on verge of landing El Tri star Dos Santos as “core player” 2
- Report: Sepp Blatter will not attend Women’s World Cup final 0
- Nigel Pearson fired as manager by Leicester City 2
- NBC Sports to air Barclays Asia Trophy as Arsenal, Everton and Stoke head to Singapore 0
- How should USWNT line up against Germany in World Cup semifinal? 3