Jan 31, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
Fulham have been working on this deal for quite some time, and finally they’ve got their man.
Just hours before the transfer deadline slammed shut, the West London club announced Greek international striker Kostas Mitroglou has signed in a deal thought to be worth $18 million.
Joining from Olympiakos, Mitroglou has given up UEFA Champions League soccer for a relegation battle in the Premier League, but is delighted to get the change to play in England’s top-flight.
“I’m very happy that I’m here in the Premier League, and especially with Fulham which is a major club in the league,” Mitroglou told Fulham’s website. “I’m here because I want to fulfill the Club’s targets and I want to help the Club achieve their goals. I was really flattered that they wanted me so badly and I’m really happy to be here.”
Mitroglou, 25, has been in sublime form this campaign for Olympiakos after scoring 17 times in 19 games which includes four hat tricks. One of those hat tricks came in Olympiakos’ 3-0 win in the Champions League over Anderlecht in October.
This signing is a real coup for the Cottagers, as they added real quality in the window on deadline day.
After signing Lewis Holtby on loan earlier on Friday, Mitroglou’s signing signifies American owner Shadid Khan putting his faith in manager Rene Muelensteen.
In six seasons with Olympiakos Mitrglou has made 148 appearances, scoring 62 goals. Whilst there the Athens side won three Super League titles, three Greek Cups and one Greek Super Cup.
He brings goals, international experience and a work-ethic admired by fans of the Greek national team and Olympiakos.
With Dimitar Berbatov seemingly heading out of the door at Craven Cottage, Fulham’s fans will be delighted to see the man they call Mitrglou arrive.
- Home teams take leads in first legs of Europa League semifinals 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Two way tussle for top spot – Week 35 0
- Premier League Scenarios: Title Chase, Race for Europe and Relegation 2
- Report: Mix Diskerud targeted by New York City FC 3
- Manchester United have two transfer deals provisionally in place – Cavani, Shaw, Fabregas all on radar 0
- Chelsea approves Jose Mourinho’s desire to play ‘B Squad’ against Liverpool 8