Feb 1, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
Just before the mid-afternoon cluster of Premier League fixtures kicked off in England, news filtered through that Arsenal’s latest signing could be facing a lengthy spell in the physio room.
Midfielder Kim Källström, who joined the Gunners just before the transfer window slammed shut on Friday, picked up a back injury on Sunday. The Swede, on loan from Spartak Moscow until the end of the season, is currently being assessed by Arsenal’s medical staff.
The 31 year old is the only signing made by Arsène Wenger during the January transfer window, and the primary reason he was brought on board was due to the injuries picked up by Aaron Ramsey and Jack Wilshere. He was also meant to provide cover for Mathieu Flamini, who picked up a straight red card in Arsenal’s 2-2 draw with Southampton midweek and is out for three matches.
With the Gunners ousted from the top spot midweek by high-flying Manchester City, many supporters were already hoping for more during the final days of January. With Källström now likely out without playing a single match, will this January go down as the worst transfer window in recent memory for Arsenal?
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 1
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs
- The FIFA World Cup Trophy for the First Time in Sarajevo
- Despite Early Deficit, Revs Could've Climbed Back vs. Dynamo
- Red Bulls' Opening Act Has A Nightmare Finish
- MLS 2014: Dream Team of Week 1
- Jens Lehmann Downplays Guardiola's Bayern Munich
- Chivas USA Hang on to Take all 3 Points From Chicago Fire
- Three Things: Manchester City - Wigan
- Monarcas Morelia Hire 4th Manager of the Season