David Moyes tries to put positive spin on Manchester United loss; eight defeats and counting this season
Feb 1, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT
Every time you think Manchester United have turned the corner this season, they keep faltering.
The Red Devils lost 2-1 at Stoke on Saturday, as they’ve now lost eight times in their opening 24 games this season.
United haven’t been had that many defeats at this stage of the season since 1989-90.
David Moyes, once again, cut a dejected figure after the latest defeat, but is trying to remain positive
“I don’t know what we have to do win this game,” Moyes smiled. “I was pleased, we made opportunities and I thought we played well in difficult conditions. The first goal is takes wild deflection and goes in. I thought Robin [van Persie] played well and got us a goal. I thought Juan [Mata] played well and Wayne [Rooney] played well. We just couldn’t get the second or third goal require to get something out of the game.”
During the game United did work hard and tried to carve out plenty of chances, but they really struggled to open up Stoke and get in behind the Potters. As Moyes mentioned Mata, Rooney and RVP played together for the first time and showed glimpses of what they can do as a trio, as Mata set up van Persie for the 46th minute equalizer.
However the club record signing from Chelsea drifted out of the game on the right wing, as the Red Devils succumbed to two long-range efforts from Stoke City’s Charlie Adam in either half.
United had 19 efforts during the game, but only four of those shots were on target as it was yet another bad day at the office for Moyes and his side.
However it is going forward where United still need to improve, as they haven’t scored more than two goals in any of their last nine games.
That’s very un-United like. But then again, this is a very un-United season.
- Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO) 0
- Manchester City 1-1 Chelsea: Lampard shocks former club with late equalizer (video) 1
- Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter 4
- Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United: Foxes complete comeback for the ages (video) 9
- MLS Roundup: Sounders, D.C. United slip; LA gains ground in the West 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0