Feb 1, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
Two giants of global soccer could be heading to Ann Arbor this summer, as reports suggest Manchester United and Real Madrid will square off in Michigan in August.
As part of the International Champions Cup tournament, United will apparently face Real on August 2, 2014, with the match set for Michigan Stadium.
Over 100,000 fans could pack the stadium, as two of the biggest teams in the world would certainly put on quite a show. The last time they squared off was in the last 16 of the 2012-13 UEFA Champions League, when Real beat United 2-1 at Old Trafford to knock the Red Devils out of Europe.
Details of the 2014 ICC series have not yet been released, but according to World Soccer Talk, this Real Madrid vs. Man United match is one of 12 scheduled this summer.
Where else will those games be played?
Apparently other host cities will include New York, Philadelphia, Dallas, Chicago, Washington D.C., Pittsburgh, Denver, Miami, Phoenix, Charlotte, and Hartford.
All the dots are being connected as rumors of this game start up, with Michigan AD Dave Brandon recently stating to MLive.com, that he wants to find new ways to generate extra revenue out of Michigan Stadium.
The College football venue has already hosted this season’s NHL Winter Classic, which generated $3 million for the university and a match up between United and Real could surpass that amount.
If this game does come off, it will be an incredible event.
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 0
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear