Feb 1, 2014, 7:25 AM EDT
Window Shopping: With only Kim Kallstrom arriving on loan in the window, it was a case of ‘look but don’t touch’ for Arsene Wenger and Arsenal this January. They flirted with the idea of splashing massive amounts of cash on German youngster Julian Draxler, but to spend that much on a 20-year-old, reportedly $54 million, is very steep. The Gunners should have tried to bring in a striker, but they were priced out of plenty of moves. Plugging a gap in midfield was a necessity after a string of injuries and suspensions, but I can’t help but think Wenger will regret not bringing in a top forward to kick his side on for a top four finish.
Players In: Kim Kallstrom (Loan from Spartak Moscow until end of season)
Players Out: Nico Yennaris (Brentford, $300,000), Anthony Jeffrey (Wycombe, Free), Emmanuel Frimpong (Barnsley, Undisclosed), Benik Afobe (Sheffield Wednesday, Loan), Chuba Akpom (Brentford, Loan), Daniel Boateng (Hibernian, Loan)
Arsene Wenger had one area to strengthen in the window, and he didn’t get to do it. I get it, it’s tough to find a top striker that’s better than what you have. But let’s be honest, Arsenal haven’t got a lot of options in attack. With Theo Walcott out injured, only Podolski, Bendtner and Giroud can play in the central role. With a hard slog of Champions League, PL and FA Cup matches coming up, they needed more depth. Wenger should have splashed the cash to bring in a top striker. This was the window where they should’ve made a marquee signing. But if a player isn’t available, like Diego Costa, then what can you do?
Bringing in Kallstrom was okay, he will slot in and do a decent job in the absence of Ramsey and Flamini for a few weeks. But I think Arsenal’s fans, and perhaps their manager, expected to do a lot better in this window.
- Los Angeles officially given new MLS team; Magic Johnson, Vincent Tan among investors 4
- PST Extra: Getting you ready for The Manchester Derby (video) 0
- European clubs propose later domestic Cup finals, April-May World Cup in 2022 4
- Rumors know no window: Liverpool after Reus, Manchester United wants Draxler 2
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 12
- Timbers’ Steve Zakuani announces retirement from professional soccer 3