Feb 1, 2014, 8:24 AM EDT
Sunderland’s dominance in the Tyne-Wear derby continues, as the Black cats jumped into an early 2-0 lead at St. James’ Park.
In the 18th minute Adam Johnson dinked a great ball in to Phil Bardsley and as the right back entered the box, Newcastle midfielder Vernon Anita took him out and gave away a clear-cut penalty. Borini stepped up to smash the spot kick home and sent the traveling Sunderland fans wild.
Soon after it was 2-0 to Sunderland as an exchange between Jozy Altidore and Jack Colback resulted in the latter having a shot that deflected off Steven Taylor and found its way to Johnson at the back post, who tapped home to double the Black Cats lead.
Can Newcastle fight back? Click on the link above to watch live online.
- Premier League transfer window grades – Which team did the best business? 0
- Done Deal: Radamel Falcao completes move to Manchester United 3
- Done Deal: Better late than never, Arsenal seals deal with Welbeck 2
- Americans Abroad wrap: Guzan stays unbeaten, Lichaj & Bedoya thrive 1
- Done Deal: Listing all the Deadline Day deals from the Premier League 5
- Southampton sign Toby Alderweireld, add $18 million winger Sadio Mane 0