Feb 1, 2014, 8:24 AM EDT
Sunderland’s dominance in the Tyne-Wear derby continues, as the Black cats jumped into an early 2-0 lead at St. James’ Park.
In the 18th minute Adam Johnson dinked a great ball in to Phil Bardsley and as the right back entered the box, Newcastle midfielder Vernon Anita took him out and gave away a clear-cut penalty. Borini stepped up to smash the spot kick home and sent the traveling Sunderland fans wild.
Soon after it was 2-0 to Sunderland as an exchange between Jozy Altidore and Jack Colback resulted in the latter having a shot that deflected off Steven Taylor and found its way to Johnson at the back post, who tapped home to double the Black Cats lead.
Can Newcastle fight back? Click on the link above to watch live online.
- Los Angeles officially given new MLS team; Magic Johnson, Vincent Tan among investors 4
- PST Extra: Getting you ready for The Manchester Derby (video) 0
- European clubs propose later domestic Cup finals, April-May World Cup in 2022 4
- Rumors know no window: Liverpool after Reus, Manchester United wants Draxler 2
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 12
- Timbers’ Steve Zakuani announces retirement from professional soccer 3