Feb 1, 2014, 6:53 AM EST
What a game we have in store at St. James’ Park, as a massive Tyne-Wear derby takes place between Newcastle and Sunderland (watch live on NBCSN, 7:45am ET and online via Live Extra) on Saturday morning.
Sunderland have beaten Newcastle home and away in the last two Premier League ties between the teams, so the Magpies will be hoping for some revenge in front of a passionate crowd of 52,000.
In terms of rivalries in the PL, this is right up there.
Just a few miles separate the two teams, location wise, but for most of this season Newcastle have been head and shoulders above Sunderland. Alan Pardew‘s men sit in eight spot and are very comfortable, while Gus Poyet’s Black Cats are scrapping for their lives at the bottom of the table.
This will be full of passion and commitment, and whoever wants it more will likely prevail.
In team news Newcastle start with an extremely attacking lineup after losing Yohan Cabaye to Paris Saint-Germain. The Ameobi brother, Shola and Sami, start up top. While there’s a place on the bench for new loan signing Luke de Jong.
While Sunderland start USMNT international Jozy Altidore up front and new signing Liam Bridcutt comes straight into the team to make his debut.
Sunderland: Mannone, Bardsley, Alonso, Brown, O’Shea, Bridcutt, Colback, Ki, Johnson, Borini, Altidore. Subs: Larsson, Gardner, Wickham, Giaccherini, Vergini, Scocco, Ustari
- Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through 3
- Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere 3
- Ludogorets 2-2 Liverpool: Late equalizer spells more misery for Reds, but there’s hope 1
- Men in Blazers podcast: Kyle Martino joins to talk Thanksgiving and tie knots 0
- Champions League Wednesday preview: Arsenal can advance, Liverpool need kick-start 1
- Jose Mourinho to Schalke after Chelsea’s 5-0 win: “It’s not your fault” 1