Feb 3, 2014, 9:08 AM EST
Aston Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner has confirmed that the club has not been put up for sale contrary to rumors in the British press.
“I can categorically confirm that Aston Villa Football Club has absolutely not been put up for sale and that Randy Lerner is not actively looking to sell the club,” said Faulkner.
Faulkner was forced to speak about the status of the club following newspaper reports that the American chairman/owner was actively looking to sell Villa for £200 million. The chief executive said that there is no suggestion Lerner wants to find a buyer for the club and that he has not instructed anybody to search for interested parties.
Lerner bought Villa for £62.6 million from Doug Ellis in August 2006 and has since invested more than £250 million in the playing squad and improvements at Villa Park and the club’s training facilities at Bodymoor Heath.
Villa fans are generally happy with the work Lerner has done in his seven and a half years at the club. He’s sorted out debt issues, sold overpaid players and gotten the wage bill under control. If a prospective buyer were to be looking at English clubs, Villa is one that would provide a very comfortable entrance into the market.
Yet while Faulkner’s statement denies the club has been put up for sale and claims Lerner isn’t actively looking to sell, Faulkner did not say whether meetings with perspective buyers are/have been held. No club would be so foolish as to announce a deal for its sale during the season. The true test for the future ownership of Aston Villa will be decided this summer.
- Ban upheld: Diego Costa to miss Saturday’s visit from Manchester City, 2 more 0
- Report: Liverpool hoping to buy Ings, loan striker back to Burnley for season 0
- David Beckham says progress still being made toward MLS stadium in Miami 0
- DONE DEAL: Mattia Destro, Juan Agudelo sign with new clubs AC Milan, New England Revolution 0
- Juan Agudelo signs with New England Revolution, completes return to MLS 2
- How will Chelsea, Manchester City line up in huge Premier League clash? 2