Feb 3, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has continued his run of one-sided mind games with Manuel Pellegrini by claiming that Manchester City should have won more silverware.
The Special One, whose Chelsea side faces the Citizens in one of the most hotly anticipated clashes of the season on Monday (live 2:00pm ET on NBCSN and Live Extra), has been digging into his counterpart for a few weeks now.
The ribs began with the assertion that City are Premier League title favorites, comments Mourinho has made on multiple occasions. Receiving little less than a shrug from Pellegrini, Mourinho then claimed that City get more calls from the referee than other clubs. Still unable to catch Pellegrini’s goat, Mourinho has now taken aim at the club’s lack of trophies.
“They won one title, won a couple of cups,” Mourinho said referring to City’s 2011 FA Cup victory and their 2012 Premier League title. “Only in Europe they didn’t do well, or close to doing well. Speaking objectively, they did very bad in the Champions League in previous seasons, also in the Europa League.”
Chelsea, of course, won the 2012 Champions League and the 2013 Europa League although Mourinho was coaching Real Madrid at the time. Admitting that City’s team is “fantastic,” Mourinho noted that “normally they (should) win more titles.”
Which is all to say that Mourinho is being Mourinho ahead of today’s titanic clash. Second in the table and on 53 points, City can leapfrog Arsenal to the top of the table with a victory on Monday while a win for the Blues will put the top three teams within two points of each other.
- U-20 World Cup preview: The groups, the favorites, USA outlook and the game’s future stars 1
- Gulati: U.S. Soccer will vote for Prince Ali bin Al-Hussein in FIFA election, not Sepp Blatter 6
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: Summer transfer needs 2
- Premier League 2014-15 review – Top 10 games of the season 4
- By the numbers: 2014-15 Premier League season in review 1
- Sepp Blatter transcript in full; admits “shame and humiliation” of FIFA scandal 4