Feb 3, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT
The ongoing inability to sign anyone of value around St. James Park finally came to something of a head Monday as Newcastle United’s beleaguered director of football Joe Kinnear resigned.
It comes after the embarrassing defeat at home to rival Sunderland, but the roots of this discord go back well beyond the weekend.
Some kind of front office upheaval seemed inevitable after yet another transfer window of discouraging one-way traffic. Usually we see quality players come and go from Premier League teams. For Newcastle lately they’ve only been “going,” most notably Yohan Cabaye last week.
It especially cannot be surprising to see the comeuppance for anyone who was around to witness this rather awkward press conference from the weekend. Manager Alan Pardew certainly didn’t seem too sure of the ground beneath Kinnear’s feet as their ongoing tussle spilled into the public.
Kinnear’s departure ends a St. James Park chapter that was odd and perhaps ill-advised from the day he came aboard in the summer of 2013. (Amid fan protests even; and how many times do we see fans protest a front office choice? Coaches, yes … but front office types?)
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- What a photo: Lazio plays to near-empty Stadio Olimpico as fans protest club president 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear