Feb 4, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
It has been revealed that Mexican national team attacker Carlos Vela will turn down any invitation to be part of Mexico’s 23-man squad at the World Cup this summer.
Vela, 24, has scored 10 goals for Real Sociedad in La Liga this season and the former Arsenal youngster has blossomed into a fine goalscorer in Spain’s top-flight with 35 goals in 91 games during the past three seasons at Sociedad.
However his problems with the Mexican national team have been present for quite some time, and after El Tri’s head coach and a traveling part from the Mexican Football Federation flew to Spain to try and gauge Vela’s interest in participating in the World Cup this summer, they didn’t get the answer they were looking for.
In a statement on FMF’s website, they said that Vela wasn’t “100% mentally and emotionally ready” to play for Mexico at the World Cup.
The young attacker has been in fine form once again this season, despite Sociedad’s bowing out of the UEFA Champions League they are sitting in sixth spot in La Liga with double figures from their leading goalscorer Vela, and he also leads the team in assists with eight. All this adds up to a man that’s surely ready to play in the World Cup?
But he has previous.
During the 2010 World Cup Vela was injured against France and missed El Tri’s defeats to Uruguay and Argentina in South Africa. Soon after that, in September 2010, Vela was fined and banned from playing for the national team for six months after being his involvement in a party with his teammates in Monterrey after Mexico played Colombia. Since then, it’s been all downhill for the young attackers international career as he refused to play in the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup and the 2012 Olympic Games when Mexico called him up, then also turned down a call up to the squad back in March 2013 for games vs. Honduras and the USA.
Following De La Torre’s sacking in September 2013, Vela stated his intention to once again play for Mexico, but when new manager Manuel Vucetich named him in the squad, guess what? Vela declined.
In one final attempt to get the talented young attacker back on board and boost El Tri’s hopes of succeeding at Brazil 2014, the Mexican Football Federation have failed. It seems as though Vela has burnt all his bridges and he’s at the point of no return. It’s a shame on so many levels, as he’s a top player scoring goals for fun in La Liga and he could form a deadly partnership with Javier Hernandez up front.
But you can’t say Mexico haven’t tried to get Vela on board, the truth is, right now he just isn’t interested in representing his country and going to the World Cup.
- Report: Xabi Alonso heading to Manchester United 5
- Angel Di Maria wants to leave Real Madrid, rejects new contract 0
- Mario Balotelli edging closer to shock $26 million Liverpool switch 11
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Tiote to Arsenal, Destro to Chelsea 0
- Angel Di Maria gets love from Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos and Diego Simeone 2
- Jozy Altidore is the happiest he’s ever been, says Gus Poyet 3