Feb 4, 2014, 8:50 AM EST
For the first time this season, there was not one single player born outside the UK and Ireland in the Premier Legaue Team of the Week.
Eight Englishman, two Scots and an Irishman made up the best XI from Round 24.
Plenty of Three Lions hopefuls stepped up to the plate with superb displays in big wins as Jack Colback scored and worked his backside off for Sunderland in the win over Newcastle, while Southampton duo Adam Lallana and Rickie Lambert grabbed a goal each in Saints’ 3-0 win at Fulham.
Needless to say, a big weekend for the Brits in their domestic league.
- MLS, union come together to avoid calamitous work stoppage 5
- Wednesday’s Premier League roundup: Chelsea, Man City win; six of top seven prevail 0
- Jose Mourinho says his Chelsea team “were brothers on the pitch” in crucial win 0
- West Ham United 0-1 Chelsea: Hazard’s header enough for league leaders 0
- Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester United: Krul gaffe spoils Jonas return 4
- Swansea’s Bafetimbi Gomis stretchered off the pitch after appearing to collapse 1