Feb 4, 2014, 9:07 AM EDT
Window Shopping: Plenty of names were bandied about as potential Reds, but Brendan Rodgers‘ biggest flirtations were with Egyptian star Mohamed Salah and, at the buzzer, Ukrainian winger Yehven Konoplyanka.
Salah was linked with plenty of Premier League destinations over the break, as Liverpool was oft-mentioned but had company in Tottenham, Newcastle and Chelsea amongst others.
And thanks to Jose Mourinho splashing money from the sale of Juan Mata, Salah headed to Stamford Bridge for around $18 million. Rodgers urged hope for a “major signing” late in the window, which triggered plenty of discussion that made it seem all but a certainty that Konoplyanka was on his way for $22 million.
But neither winger ended up at Anfield. Konoplyanka’s club, Dnipro, put the failure on Liverpool for delaying. Rodgers said the Reds deserved no blame, and that the club had flown a top official out to the Ukraine to seal the deal.
He said, he said is all well and good but no winger, or other position, arrived for Liverpool.
Players In: None.
It’s not right to toss a huge ‘F’ on the Reds, as the club is in pretty good shape. Their strike force is flying with SAS on cruise control and players like Jordan Henderson have been playing very well, but sometimes you need to take a risk to boost your chances at the Champions League and that time seemed now with no clear giant emerging this season (or better put: no club seizing the opportunities atop the PL). Sure, spending for spending’s sake isn’t a great idea but if the Reds are looking back at this year from a spot outside of Europe or mere points from the top, they’ll look back at a January window and wonder if it was fate… or just laziness.
- Captain Clint fires Seattle Sounders to US Open Cup crown in 3-1 extra time win over Philadelphia 3
- Report: FA to overhaul work permit rules to cut down on non-EU players 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Liverpool win late; Real Madrid, Dortmund victorious 0
- Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Arsenal: Gunners outclassed by BVB 4
- Liverpool 2-1 Ludogorets: Gerrard grabs last-gasp winner after scare 0
- Premier League player of month on pace for 67 goals (video) 0